Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 8-round Revo for Competition

gr7070

On 8/23/2019 at 2:11 PM, J_Allen said:

I may be taking this out of context since it wasn’t the point of your post, but thought it would be worth mentioning.... but PLEASE do not use live rounds if you are doing any sort of gun manipulation during practice. Other options include snap caps or making some dummy rounds if you are a reloader. Without any other information, I am not trying to imply you are unsafe, but I do know that anyone can make a mistake, as we are all human. Taking live ammo out of the equation is just something that I would STRONGLY encourage.

I'm just saying this since some of the "snap caps" I saw for sale are either inert rounds or look like live rounds. (I personally have the orange ones which were more expensive, but I would never be able to mistake them for live rounds) But I agree wholeheartedy, the only time you should be inserting live rounds into your gun should be at a designated shooting area or for carry.

Edited by b1indfire

20 hours ago, b1indfire said:

I'm just saying this since some of the "snap caps" I saw for sale are either inert rounds or look like live rounds. (I personally have the orange ones which were more expensive, but I would never be able to mistake them for live rounds) But I agree wholeheartedy, the only time you should be inserting live rounds into your gun should be at a designated shooting area or for carry.

Thanks for following up, and your reply was what I kind of figured. But you never know who might be reading these posts or what their experience level might be, so I just wanted to be crystal clear. 👍

Thanks to all for your input!

I went into this expecting to get an R8, largely due to its light weight. However, I corrected course and have picked up a used 929 at a fair price.

Looking forward to knocking down some steel. Quickly!

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the OP's search has been resolved.  If I were starting out fresh, I would certainly consider the 929.  But since I already have multiple 627s and 27-7s, lots of machined moonclips and thousands of pieces of Starline .38 Short Colt brass, I have never felt switching to the 929 was a worthwhile venture.  I have concluded the two platforms are completely equivalent from a competitive standpoint, and there is a certain fussiness with the 929 that I'm happy to avoid.

• 3 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 1:11 PM, J_Allen said:

I may be taking this out of context since it wasn’t the point of your post, but thought it would be worth mentioning.... but PLEASE do not use live rounds if you are doing any sort of gun manipulation during practice. Other options include snap caps or making some dummy rounds if you are a reloader. Without any other information, I am not trying to imply you are unsafe, but I do know that anyone can make a mistake, as we are all human. Taking live ammo out of the equation is just something that I would STRONGLY encourage.

On 8/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, gr7070 said:

So I'm looking at buying an 8-round revolver. I'd use it to shoot a bunch of the different "action" games; Steel Challenge, local action games, USPSA, whatever. 

I do not reload.

Of the (readily available) options out there which model do y'all prefer and for what reasons?

Edit:

Re: caliber I don't know that I care, per se. I own and shoot both already. However, if one has a preference I'd like to here the preference and reasoning for it. I don't shoot tons; so cost isn't incredibly important, but it does help.

Thanks!

On 8/19/2019 at 1:07 PM, J_Allen said:

When you say you own both calibers already, do you mean 357 mag revolver and 9mm semi-auto? If you don’t reload, then I feel like you would have to go with a S&W 929, since you are not going to find 38 short colt on the shelves. But even then, do the 929’s run factory 9mm out of the box? Don’t have any experience with that myself. My advice would be to take a serious look at getting into reloading first.

My 929's have never shot factory 115"s or 125's worth a darn. 4-5" groups at 25yds. handloaded .357-8 heads showed good accuracy/