Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
urmaker45

Sti edge locking back on one round

Posted (edited)

I have a sti edge 40 cal that on only one mag it’s locking back with one round left in mag . It doesn’t do this with my other mags could this be a worn out spring / follower ? 

Edited by urmaker45

Posted (edited)

I was going to order grams/spring follower see if that’s the issue . Will I need to tune them any ? Never tuned mags before so I’m new to this .

Edited by urmaker45

Posted (edited)

The Grams follower already comes tuned so it won't lock the slide open...the two that I ordered did not lock open.

Edited by ramnj

Mine does the same thing. You can either dremel your followers where they contact the slide stop or file down the slide stop. Both should work and keep this from happening. 

Sounds like a follower issue to me...  I’d say file down the contact point on the follower and go from there!

Due to a special match I need to run some mags that lock back on empty it’s going by  somewhat IDPA rules with reloads . I know my gun is not IDPA legal or I would just run my mbx not worry about it . How would I fix it to lock back on empty ? So the grams won’t lock back ?

Posted (edited)

In this match is your mag capacity limited or are you loading them up?

if you don’t need max capacity I still have some mags with the stock STI followers that won’t lock until empty. If you work on them a little I can still get 19 rounds. 

Edited by PharmDShooter

31 minutes ago, PharmDShooter said:

In this match is your mag capacity limited or are you loading them up?

if you don’t need max capacity I still have some mags with the stock STI followers that won’t lock until empty. If you work on them a little I can still get 19 rounds. 

Yea I’m going to be limited 10 so I won’t need max capacity I’m thinking about ordering stock spring follower from Dawson hope that works .

18 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

I think your pistol is broken and you should let me have it.  haha

Haha this gun has never had a hiccup minus this one mag in like 2k of ammo just wish IDPA wouldn’t get bent out of shape if I didn’t have to do a slide lock reload I would just count my bullets and do a mag change on empty 

1 hour ago, urmaker45 said:

Haha this gun has never had a hiccup minus this one mag in like 2k of ammo just wish IDPA wouldn’t get bent out of shape if I didn’t have to do a slide lock reload I would just count my bullets and do a mag change on empty 

the solution to your problem is to buy a different gun for idpa. as a bonus, this strategy allows you to own another gun. There is no charge for this service.

8 hours ago, urmaker45 said:

Yea I’m going to be limited 10 so I won’t need max capacity I’m thinking about ordering stock spring follower from Dawson hope that works .

The sti ones should fix it. The Dawson ones will have the same issue you’re having now. 

take the topend off your gun, put the slide stop back in. Load an empty mag, and your offending mag with one round. You should be able to see whats going on and address the issue. Since you want it to slide lock, Id start with a factory follower, go from there.

Are you using the stock slide stop, or a modified one that is filed down so as to not lock the slide open on an empty mag?

Make sure you're using a stock slide stop, and the factory STI followers in your mags. Should lock back every time with that setup.

22 hours ago, ramnj said:

The Grams follower already comes tuned so it won't lock the slide open...the two that I ordered did not lock open.

Negative

22 hours ago, PharmDShooter said:

Mine does the same thing. You can either dremel your followers where they contact the slide stop or file down the slide stop. Both should work and keep this from happening. 

this ☝️

I have a set of (5) mags that I used to only use for the Pro-AM. Stock STI followers and a slide stop setup to clear the long bullets yet lock back on  empty.

Seems I can count to 10 just fine shooting paper, but that all goes out the window, shooting a steel plates with a "par" time.

All my other limited mags are Grams followers and a slide stop setup to NOT lock back.

+Joe4d,  just remove the top-end, replace SS and insert a mag with only one round in it..  you'll see right away whats happening or not happening.

The unwritten rule is to file, etc on the cheapest part.  Which would definitely be the follower.  Most shooters

have extra parts, check with other shooters you shoot with and pick up a couple followers and get to work.

You will find that it's fun figuring out a problem and you will learn some things as well.  Good Luck.......