Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon powder measure ?

What’s the advantages and disadvantages of leaving powder in the hopper. Thinking of just leaving powder in after reloading instead of dumping it out every time. I know it may stain the plastic but it’s starting to be a pain to empty every time. Reloading room in the house so no issues with climate control. What say you. 

I have left my powder in the hopper since I started reloading..  I can tell you that Titegroup stains the hopper. It doesn't affect anything and since Titegroup is such a small load, I don't even worry about it.  I just fill it and forget it.

I always have emptied my hopper when done reloading.  That said if you don't want to have that staining problem and cut down on static in the hopper you can get a pyrex glass replacement hopper from a place called dramworx. Not exactly cheap, but high quality, doesn't stain, Ive noticed way less, basically no static in the hopper now, and the lids have an O ring seal if you have humidity concerns.  

I got one when my cheap plastic Hornady hopper broke at the base.  Could of gotten a free replacement hopper from Hornady but when ahead and spent the money on the Dramworx.  Glad I did.  

Bought the dramworx hopper for my LNL...only regret is that I didn't buy it sooner.

FWIW - Over the years Hornady has replaced my hopper twice...just after the last time I got tired of cleaning up the mess as it had loosened and I spilled about 1/2 hopper of powder.

3 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I have a 1050 which one are y’all running on the 1050. Sm or lg dramworx hopper. And is it easy to install. I know the dillon hopper is a pain in the ass to get off the base. 

I recommend the small or standard size unless you are loading rifle rounds. The medium is the tallest that will fit due to the case feeder location on a 1050.

It is very easy to install. Removing the old plastic one is usually the hardest part.

I live in North Central Florida...humidity central. My reloading room is in an non air conditioned shed detached from the house. No insulation...hotter than two Hells in the summer, colder that a witches....well, you know the adage, in the winter. The only time I dump the powder measure is when changing powders, which is extremely rare, as I have powder measures for almost every caliber I load. If it sits for a couple of months with no use, I stir the powder a little bit before loading...and other than some staining on the powder measure, I have never had one single issue from doing this. If I don't have issues in the humidity capital of the US, I seriously doubt that you will have issues wherever you are...By the way, we got 9" of rain over the weekend here. 

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

I live in North Central Florida...humidity central. My reloading room is in an non air conditioned shed detached from the house. No insulation...hotter than two Hells in the summer, colder that a witches....well, you know the adage, in the winter. The only time I dump the powder measure is when changing powders, which is extremely rare, as I have powder measures for almost every caliber I load. If it sits for a couple of months with no use, I stir the powder a little bit before loading...and other than some staining on the powder measure, I have never had one single issue from doing this. If I don't have issues in the humidity capital of the US, I seriously doubt that you will have issues wherever you are...By the way, we got 9" of rain over the weekend here. 

In south Louisiana so I know about humidity but my new house I just built my reloading room is in the house. Made sure off that when building 😂