Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How often do you clean your comp?

I've got maybe 2-3K through my new JP now. I never cleaned my comp on my last pcc (Taccom), but someone pointed out buildup on my comp this morning, so the question. I searched around and found a solution of peroxide and vinegar would do the job, mostly. I've got mine soaking now. But I wonder how often most people clean theirs.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It depends 100% on bullet and powder. I assume you shoot coated.

A plated or JHP with no exposed lead, means pretty much never. As long as it’s run with a clean powder.

If you do shoot coated bullets...I shoot round nose Acme bulletin over HP38 and have the gmr with the black barrel, what is the best way to clean the comp build up. I have a lot of inventory and may change when these run out but kinda stuck with these until the.

I forgot. I soak my open comp in a jar that’s 50/50 Kroil and Lucas Bore Solvent, I haven’t done that with the PCC because it’s awkward and would stink up my basement. I don’t care that every molecule of powder is off, just what I can scrape pretty easily with that comp cleaner. I don’t know if this is right or wrong, it’s just what I do.

3 hours ago, egd5 said:

I've got maybe 2-3K through my new JP now. I never cleaned my comp on my last pcc (Taccom), but someone pointed out buildup on my comp this morning, so the question. I searched around and found a solution of peroxide and vinegar would do the job, mostly. I've got mine soaking now. But I wonder how often most people clean theirs.

Someone at Tandem Kross pointed out to me that the result of this process is lead that is really easily absorbed by anything.  So watch handling it.  I actually quit doing it after it discolored my SS comp.  I just use a small screwdriver or a dremel now.

I would think FMJ would be best for the comp.  Coated plated bullets lead with Titegroup or other hot powders.  Makes it a real challenge to clean.

After shooting a few hundred SNS coated bullets with Titegroup, my comp was about 75% plugged. I tried soaking it in various solvents and also running it in solvent in an ultrasonic tank. Kroil was the only thing that manage to soften it. Took a week of soaking and scrubbing to remove all the lead.

It doesn't do it with plated bullets.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

Plated here. No exposed lead.

I shot coated bullets (several different brands) in my PCC and found massive amounts of lead in the comp.

Switched to JHP's and the comp stays nice and clean.

Do plated bullets work the same as JHP's or does the plating strip/burn off as with coated bullets?

7 minutes ago, Cavy said:

I shot coated bullets (several different brands) in my PCC and found massive amounts of lead in the comp.

Switched to JHP's and the comp stays nice and clean.

Do plated bullets work the same as JHP's or does the plating strip/burn off as with coated bullets?

There are plated bullets rated for higher velocities(1500fps) You just have to read the descriptions when ordering. If you are running them slow just check the fps rating.

Here is one example from Xtreme plated. 

Legend

HP = Hollow Point 
FP = Flat Point
HPCB = Heavy Plate Concave Base
RN = Round Nose
RNFP = Round Nose Flat Point
SWC = Semi Wad Cutter
WC = Wad Cutter

All Hollow Points are Heavy Plate Concave Base but are not designed to be used as a defense round.

Load Info

Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp

Any velocities over 1200 FPS we recommend either our Heavy Plate Concave Base or Hollow Point products for superior accuracy. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp

All of our Hard Cast Lead Bullets are approximately 18 on Brinell, our Cowboy lead bullets are approximately 15 on Brinell.

Edited by Sarge
On 8/17/2019 at 5:42 PM, rowdyb said:

Dental pick, brass brush, contact cleaner.

Or prop the gun up and leave the comp submerged in the ultra sonic cleaner.

I prop the gun/comp in a jar of Bore Scrubber of Hoppes.  Same technique. Works fine.  I only use Jacketed bullets.

I have only reloaded SMK and Hornady.  I generally run Hornady Match Steel ammo.  So I have not experienced issues with plated type bullets.