Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double alpha racer x holster ?

urmaker45

Has anybody tried this holster I know it’s new but looks like a good less expensive option then the alpha x  . Wondering if it is worth spending extra for the alpha x vs racer x holster  . Also anybody have issues with the original racer holster?

Edited by urmaker45

I bought the last left handed Racer for an STI at DAA. It’s fine if you don’t plan on changing guns or grips, since it doesn’t have inserts. My Cheely E2 fit fine, as did a standard plastic grip. I assume the new Racer X would be similarly non-modular. 

2 hours ago, OPENB said:

I bought the last left handed Racer for an STI at DAA. It’s fine if you don’t plan on changing guns or grips, since it doesn’t have inserts. My Cheely E2 fit fine, as did a standard plastic grip. I assume the new Racer X would be similarly non-modular. 

I found a double alpha racer with sti insert for 125 but not sure if I should get the racer x for 139 or go all out for the alpha x . 

Racers don’t have inserts, the holster is made for a specific gun and can’t be changed. The Racemaster and Alpha X have a changeable insert in an aluminum body. I think you get the upgraded holster hanger when you go to the X series. If you don’t plan to switch guns a lot, the Racers work great for the money. I’ve not had an X series, so can’t say if they are worth the premium. I do see a lot of them on the range. 

Edited by OPENB

I got a racer x about six weeks ago and like works well no slop or play have friends that the other two models and mine works just like there’s. It’s the only daa holster I’ve owned, I did get the pad for it and would consider it nessary.

I bought a racer years ago, the  holster was ok, I hated the hanger with a passion 

As hard as I tried the holster would always go out of adjustment 

i recently got the alpha x racer hanger and retrofitted it to my old holster and the improvement is impressive, it stays in adjustment and transformed my old  holster from a POS to 👍

22 hours ago, urmaker45 said:

Thanks for the info sounds like since I’m only shooting one gun the racer x is the way to go ! Appreciate the help !

I would take a look at Everglades race holster.. Sold my alpha x for this set up.. Best holster I have used.. 

I have a Racer holster for 1911 which I haven't used for a couple of years. The holster was a generic 1911 BUT the problem is that not every 1911 trigger guard is the same dimension, it fits fine for my Springfield loaded  but didn't fit well for an STI Spartan or a Nighthawk or Springfield Range Officer so it's been relegated to the holster draw. You want to make sure you get one to fit your gun specifically if you can. The issue was how much movement of the gun there was, the gun would probably never have fallen out but wasn't happy with it. 

I now use an Apha X for my Sig 320 RX and X% and couldn't be happier with it. Although after using it all weekend last week I have bought the thigh pad to try out.     

I bought the Racer X when they came out this spring, thinking that that since I will only shoot STI 2011s with it I do not need the inserts which allow switching to different guns. I also got the muzzle support.

So far it works fine. It has many adjustments but some work loose and need to be tightened from time to time. Not a big deal.

If I had it to do over, I would probably go with the Everglades instead, but have no experience with it, and the Racer X is fine.

Please note that if you do want to use the Double Alpha muzzle support, it requires an M8 threaded hole in the bottom of the holster body. The Racer X does NOT come from the factory with this threaded hole; at least it did not when I was ordering. However, when I called customer service to inquire about this they offered to drill the hole for me before shipping the holster and muzzle support. This worked out well. The holster can be used without the muzzle support but I just like having one for peace of mind I guess.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a Racer X for STI for over two years now its rock solid. No movement and no adjustments needed once you get it where you want. I did have to spray silicone to get the locking block to move freely. Ordered a new one for a SVI STL for the AGW Titan that's on its way. Its a great holster for $139. I wish they would just sell the block sperate instead of having to order a whole system.

Update - I have the Alpha Grip on the Titan 2 with the Racer-x SVI STL block. Not happy with it. Its beyond tight and if you don't pull straight up, the grip binds. I've sprayed the crap out of the block with silicone and its finally loosened up enough to manually slide the block up and down. However the disengage pull on the pistol releasing is bad. May need another holster option or try and see where the bind is happening.