Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else notice that Cabelas . . .

Whoops!

Is more expensive since they merged with Bass Pro?

Also, I just went in there to try to sell a gun worth at least $620 on their shelf.

They offered me $150.

I don’t think I’m going to go to Cabelas anymore.

Before the merger, I saw Bass Pro as the fishing store and Cabela's as the hunting store. Not 100%, but it was a trend. Since the merger, BP has not changed much but it seems Cabelas has slightly moved away from hunting...more towards fishing, hiking, etc. Just my perception. And they have gotten a smidge more expensive.

Years ago, I tried to do a gun trade at a Gander Mountain...offered me about 50% of the trade value I could get elsewhere. I think it is normal for the big stores to low ball on the trades. 

both stores are grossly overpriced and have been for years.
Bass Pro has ok prices for fishing gear, but the other stuff is high. Cabelas used to have some pretty high quality clothing, I have some cabelas stuff here that is pretty old but really well made. However I bought it on off season from the bargin cave and get odd ball colors.

Yes I've always said f*#k bass pro shop but I use to be a big fan of cabelas. Cabelas always had great sales and pretty much everything went on sale at least 2x a year. They also sponsored a lot of the local matches. Now they never have anything worth buying on sale and don't sponsor anything. So now I reluctantly say f*#k cabelas

And the prices are a lot higher... 

• 3 weeks later...

Cabelas is about customer experience, you can take your ole lady or man they will have plenty to shop for, as you check out your favorites Cabelas has never said it's the cheapest. I like going there to browse, yes I usually buy something so it's a win win ,No?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's hard for me to imagine trying to trade a gun at a big retailer if you are a member of a gun club. Most clubs have "For Sale" boards. I have sold a number of guns to my fellow gun club members, and know that in order to join they all had to pass a NCIC background check, and the majority have concealed weapons permits. No risk to the seller on that because all have passed a background check, and I am aware of it. It's better avenue than dealing with the "Big Box" pukes.

I have not shopped at Cabelas for years.  Chain gun stores do not have good prices for the most part and with

shopping on line being very easy, I mostly do that.  We have a Gander Outdoors and although its better than the

Gander Mountain store, its still high priced.  I still love to shop in old time Gun Shops and really do not mind

paying a little more to buy something there to help keep them going.

On 8/18/2019 at 5:23 PM, EEH said:

I like to wear the 511 gear pants and shorts, bas pro has all but stop having any in the store in Myrtle Beach 

You should look at LA Police Gear!  They have the LAPG operator pants/shorts.  

Here's a link https://lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant-elastic.html

I've been wearing them for years, they are great pants/shorts for the money.

6 minutes ago, stick said:

You should look at LA Police Gear!  They have the LAPG operator pants/shorts.  

Here's a link https://lapolicegear.com/basic-operator-pant-elastic.html

I've been wearing them for years, they are great pants/shorts for the money.

For "tactical" type clothes they're hard to beat. Also support some USPSA matches. Discount codes around too.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been to Cabellas 20+ times over the years and have probably spent less then $100 (except one time I bought a gun that I couldn’t find anywhere else...). Great for looking around and bringing the kid but prices are never good. 
Now that I think of it, I’m usually only there nowadays when the NRA is there and you get a $25 gift card with NRA membership renewal. 

They used to carry/sell S&B primers at great prices.  Last time I bought some they were around $22 per thousand.  Now they don't carry them, they carry what Bass Pro carries and it costs too much to buy there (get most of mine at gun shows at lower prices.)

The only thing I've bought at Bass Pro is fishing kayaks.  Now Cabela's is selling the same brands.

Before I reloaded I used to buy quite a bit of ammo there. I would watch for the sales and it turned out to be good deals.  Especially if you had their credit card or even there rewards card.   Bass pro was always more money for shooting stuff.  I never shopped there.  Cabelas had definitely gone down hill since the merger.  Its too bad but I saw it coming.