Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's this dust?

B_RAD

4 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Look for abnormal wear on the tool head or dies above that location.

I'll have to look at all of them. Not sure I can't tell  if it's coming from a specific location. 

2 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Maybe but the cases were bought already cleaned. They appear to have been wet tumbled and look very clean. 

Were the cases tumbled with car wax maybe? That almost looks like flakes of automotive wax, although it seems unlikely. 

I think the suggestion to look for wear spots is the most likely (and the most important thing to address soon!). 

18 minutes ago, Yondering said:

Were the cases tumbled with car wax maybe? That almost looks like flakes of automotive wax, although it seems unlikely. 

I think the suggestion to look for wear spots is the most likely (and the most important thing to address soon!). 

Bought the cases from Everglades. Not sure who they cleaned/processes. I've loaded about 5k with this phenomenon. All have been 100%. 

I originally thought it was the Lee U die somehow working the brass too much. I switched to a Dillon sizing die, still having the porblem. 

I've noticed that when pouring the powder in the hopper, there's a fine dust that present. I guess that same dust could come out of the powder die. 

Edited by B_RAD

I have a really nice toolhead light. And after every powder drop of sport pistol i can see a super fine sparkle of dust come down. Used n320 for a bit and dust was gone. I keep a can of keyboard duster handy while loading for any spilt powder or messes and it works great on the dust every couple hundred rounds.