Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel challenge ..pistol or PCC

RandyBaker

6 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

I'd say they are equal assuming you already have the correct equipment for each. Which do you feel more comfortable with?

I am a lot more consistently accurate with the red dot and the PCC. 

Hey Randy.  It is going to depend on how many stages and how many people.  For example, in our area, Spartanburg Practical Shooting Association (SPSA) shoots 5 stages in about 2 -3 hours.  Belton Gun Club shoots 6 stages and usually has more turnout.  It usually takes 3 - 4 hours.

You're not getting paid to shoot, so shoot whichever one you like the most.  You may even want to shoot 2 guns if your match/squadding allows it so you can see in real time what you like/don't like about each platform.

• 2 weeks later...

I help setup and run a local match in north AL and we have ot of first time pistol shooters that migrate to rimfire rifle/pcc because it's a little easier and satisfying to some but it's always about what's fun for you!! 

Edited by iBRKarma

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, cjmill87 said:

You're not getting paid to shoot, so shoot whichever one you like the most.  You may even want to shoot 2 guns if your match/squadding allows it so you can see in real time what you like/don't like about each platform.

For your first few matches I would recommend against shooting two guns. Pick one. Learn the procedures and get your shooting order for the different targets on the stages down (the above advice is excellent in regard to that). One gun is likely to give you all you need as you learn. Steel Challenge is a lot of fun, and the people you meet are fun, as well. I'm an RO at my club and A Class in three divisions. I enjoy every match... but find mixing long gun and pistol detracts from that (and my scores).

Give Steel a try. You'll have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 11:58 AM, RandyBaker said:

I have never shot any match of any kind. I like the steel challenge style and was wondering which one to shoot my first match, meaning pistol or PCC. Which is easiest to comply with the rules? 

Bring whichever gun you first have before deciding. Learn the game first. 

Try asking your squad mates if you can try theirs? be it pcc or pistol that you may not have. Most likely they'll have you try it. 

do you own some rimfire? bring them.. try it first. ie. ruger 10/22, buckmark, etc. 

5 hours ago, Sparky said:

Some clubs will not allow PCC in their all Steel matches.  The basic argument is

that it takes too long.     

That's odd.

Steel Challenge is the perfect place to shoot both iron and optic PCC's.

The guys slowing up the group are NOT the PCC guys, at least not at our 5 matches a month.

AD

13 hours ago, Sparky said:

The reason given is that the un-bagging, bagging, etc slows down the steel matches.  I'm not saying

I agree, but that's the reason given.

I would have to question whether they also won't allow RFRO, RFRI, RFPO, and RFPI since they also are bagged and unbagged.  The only complaint I have heard about PCC is that they can be hard on the targets with full power ammo.  One place I shoot rotates the target faces between matches to keep them from becoming concave.

nso123, Not sure what all the RF's are, just letting everyone know that what I stated was 

what I was told.  Almost everyone I shoot with (PCC) reloads their ammo and the power

factors are around 140.  Rotating the targets is still a good idea.......

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, RandyBaker said:

I have never shot any match of any kind. I like the steel challenge style and was wondering which one to shoot my first match, meaning pistol or PCC. Which is easiest to comply with the rules? 

Just wondering if you shot your fist match yet? Which class did you decide on?

I shot 2 matches in CO first, then added PCCO for the next match. Then I brought my 10/22 and shot RFRO and PCCO. Shooting 2 guns can be fatiguing in the summertime so I just brought my PCC to my last match(1st level 2). For me the rifles require less effort and truth be told, are better for my ego. I think that's why you see more rifles used at the matches I attend.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Trentmopar said:

Just remember you have to surrender your man card if you shoot PCC 😂

Do we have to surrender our man card if we shoot a cool pcc?  I could run an Ump 45 or mp5 (zenith), or does the man card surrender just apply to ar pccs?  😎

Edited by DukeEB

• 1 year later...