Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass+Garment Bag+Washing Machine

Pc70

After reading all posts about wet tumbling with and without pins I started thinking (yeah that in and of itself is scary). I get my brass from the outdoor range we shoot at so its always dirty / packed with mud. I usually use a cheesecloth garment bag to put the brass in so I can shake a good amount of the debris off. 

Last night while separating the brass I just wondered if throwing it in the washing machine with load of laundry wouldn't help speed up the process. I would wash and dry the brass with my jeans and then when I was ready to get around to loading I could throw it in the tumbler with the walnut shells for final cleaning.

So how far off base am I?

I figure as long as SWMBO doesn't know what's it hurt, but if someone has a reason not to do this other than my wife killing me I am all ears.

Edited by Pc70

As long as the bag doesn't come open or wear a hole in it, it should be fine. I'd be inclined to close the bag with a good zip tie; knots tend to come loose. 

If that doesn't work, you can always do a citric acid/soap soak. That's what I do, for the same reasons you mentioned. Then dry in the oven at 250° and tumble in corn cob and case polish. 

It worked (mostly). I need to find a tougher bag to put the brass in since the brass wore holes through all 3 bags and spit brass out in the washing machine. Good thing I went to check and SWMBO didn't see it. The brass is now on a towel to dry but it's CLEAN inside and out.

Maybe a small burlap sack would hold up.

Before and After pics.

before.jpg

after.jpg

The experiment worked better than anticipated. I wonder where I can find burlap. Little 1 to 5 pound capacity sacks so the spin cycle can balance. I bet a trip through the dryer would be great and that saves me the price of a dedicated wet tumbler with short dry time.

Actually, without doing swab tests I was probably exposed to more at the match today than I would see with the deep water wash and two rinses. To each their own.

Proof of concept was done. I'm sure a small apartment clothes washer could be had cheaper than a F.A.R.T. if I was too concerned and that may actually happen to keep SWMBO from killing me.

I would just get a tumbler and forget the pins for now.

Apartment washers are still a few hundred and youd have to pipe it out. Your better off with a fart and no pins for now. Or if you come across a low speed motor make a tumbler yourself

I would not want dirty brass in my washer either.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:04 PM, Pc70 said:

Actually, without doing swab tests I was probably exposed to more at the match today than I would see with the deep water wash and two rinses. To each their own.

Proof of concept was done. I'm sure a small apartment clothes washer could be had cheaper than a F.A.R.T. if I was too concerned and that may actually happen to keep SWMBO from killing me.

My concern was more with your family than you...

😧

2 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

So,  where does the waste water dump into??  Are you on a public waste water system or your own septic??

I dump it right down the drain. Public

So just to get this back on topic, I talked to a buddy of mine in the Dallas area who actually works at a testing lab (he is the reason I will NEVER eat a mcnugget) and was told point blank....walking down a busy roadway exposes me to to more harmful chemicals due to the dust kicked up than what I proposed.

BUT I do take the sentiment to heart and rest assured I don't plan on this being no more than the proof of concept it was and will be buying an apartment washing machine off Craigslist. Given the amount of automobile work I have done over the years including when Asbestos was used in brake and clutch linings I have no want, need, nor desire to expose myself to more harmful chemicals than necessary.

So, back on point.....burlap sacks were not in my area but cheap pillow cases are; as are cheap tywraps to keep the little sacks-o-cleanliness closed. BINGO....going to buy washer this weekend and get to it. 

Next is tumble with walnut shells to see how much cleaner I can get them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 10:42 AM, Kenstone said:

Do you really want to clean something with lead dust etc. in it,  in your washing machine/drier … with your clothes??

Not something I'd do,

jmo

😧

** THIS **

Also, if you got a wet tumbler, then you'd be using a solution that better cleans and shines the brass (NO pins required) and will not potentially clog up your washer/washer drain with sediment.  

oh what a riot!

good idea...

now to find a used washer.  

ummm how much brass are you planning to clean?

give up on the cloth bags...

line the drum with something like astro-turf

dry in the sun...

how you avoided getting busted is beyond me.

My sweetie defends her washer with threats of great harm while I snore....

miranda