Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier question

Stafford

I assume that your classification is based on your percentage within the division you shoot in???  When I look at my practicsore numbers for my division, I see # - which is where I placed within the division and %, which is my percentage within the division as the first two columns. I'm assuming my % is what my classification will be based on. Is this correct?

49 minutes ago, Stafford said:

I assume that your classification is based on your percentage within the division you shoot in???  When I look at my practicsore numbers for my division, I see # - which is where I placed within the division and %, which is my percentage within the division as the first two columns. I'm assuming my % is what my classification will be based on. Is this correct?

The percentage for the classifier, as used by USPSA, etc to determine your classification is based on the HHF (high hit factor) for that classifier and division and how your HF on the stage relates to that value. 

However, at the match level the percentage is calculated the same way as all other stages in the match. Thus your stage % for the classifier in the match will be different than the percentage used for classification in the official system.

34 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

But apps like Practiscore Competitor will show the classification percentage for classifiers along with your stage percentages.

...and even history of your classifier runs (including different divisions)

Your % earned on a classifier (at a local L1 match) is based on an individual classifier - and the % is based on the high hit factor for that particular classifier (it's a national standard, not based on performance at the match.)  You need 4 of these classifiers in the same division for an initial classification.  Most locals have one classifier per match.  You can look up your hit factor on the classifier calculator at the uspsa website if you login as a member and see what your % would be.  After scores are submitted to USPSA, it will show up on your classifier record on the USPSA.com website when you log in.  The Practiscore Competitor app also shows what the % of the classifier is.

Here's the classifiers:

https://uspsa.org/classifiers

You can also earn a classifier score based on how you do in your division overall at a major match (L2+).  Not every major match will be a classifier, as it depends on participation in your division, and how many GMs competed.  There must be at least 3 GMs, ending with division placement 90% or higher, and at least 50 competitors in your division for the match to be considered a classifier score.  This would count as 1 of the 4 classifiers you need to be classified.

https://uspsa.org/pages/about/classification