Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm sizing dies differences

RandyBaker

It looks like the Lee sized further down the case while the Dillon might have done a better job of undersizing (without measuring it's hard to tell). Both should work just fine. I like/use Dillon exclusively and have never had any issues.

Edited by 4n2t0

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

It looks like the Lee sized further down the case while the Dillon might have done a better job of undersizing (without measuring it's hard to tell). Both should work just fine. I like/use Dillon exclusively and have never had any issues.

It depends on your barrel. The Dillon die worked fine for me in Glocks but not in STI guns. Then when I got into PCC the LEE U die no longer worked due to the tighter chamber am about to try a EGW undersized die. So the answer is it will work or it won't. The 9mm is a tapered case and the die needs to go all the way down on many barrels not just most of the way. 

8 minutes ago, Alaskapopo said:

It depends on your barrel. The Dillon die worked fine for me in Glocks but not in STI guns. Then when I got into PCC the LEE U die no longer worked due to the tighter chamber am about to try a EGW undersized die. So the answer is it will work or it won't. The 9mm is a tapered case and the die needs to go all the way down on many barrels not just most of the way. 

That’s kind of the situation I had. We have loaded 1000’s of 9mm for pistol shooting. Just recently bought a PCC and had a couple get stuck while trying to eject a live round. This was with the Dillion die. Just went to lee so we will see if that changes things

An undersized die for 9mm is the only way to go in my opinion.  I got a Lee undersize 9mm die and now I do not have to worry about overall length changing.  It provides more friction between the case and bullet, and works both ways: for 9mm major it keeps the bullets from creeping out of the case and also relieves any setback issues from feeding, etc.  I have not experienced any negatives so far after A LOT of loaded rounds.  My PCC works fine with reloads but it has a JP barrel which has a generous freebore to facilitate a range of overall lengths.

1 hour ago, RandyBaker said:

I guess you mean an undersized die...is there any negatives with undersizing a case? 

If you're using softer coated lead bullets, yes; excessive neck tension can size the bullet down. Undersized bullets are bad for accuracy.

With more common commercial hard cast or jacketed you won't experience that issue. 

Lee makes the dies for EGW (that is direct from the EGW website). I bought a Lee undersize die for 40 and it cleared up some going into battery issues I was having on my 1911. I see more Lee undersized dies in my future.

YMMV

Lee and Hornady size down the furthest of common sizing dies, and Hornady and Redding size easier than other common sizing dies.

I run mostly Lee on my 1050s, with some Hornady New Dimension.

If dies don't chamber after sizing, Bulge Busting takes care of the problem.

Edited by noylj

17 hours ago, Alaskapopo said:

Doesn't it always depend on something?

Again, I've never had any issues whatsoever using Dillon dies. Maybe I'm just lucky but my rejection rate is less than 1%.

Edited by 4n2t0