Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Gold Team Durability Question

Whoops!

Hi, anyone using a regular Gold Team or an Xtreme Gold Team?

I’m looking to get another because of how well the platform does, but the last regular gold team I had destroyed the barrel lugs and slide after just a few thousand rounds. 

Not sure if it was a timing issue because all of the lugs appeared to be wearing evenly.  

This was about 10 years ago, so a lot has changed.

I’d rather just spend 1700 on a regular gold team if it will hold up better now.  But if xtreme is the only way to go, I appreciate the info.

Thanks.

On those notes, anyone know if the xtreme’s barrel is hand fit?  I don’t know any gunsmiths in my area that I can trust to do a proper timing job on a barrel - DFW.

Also, I read an article which stated the xtreme slide and barrel are made out of a stronger metal than the standard.  Another reason I’m considering the upgrade.

Thanks

Edited by Whoops!

3 hours ago, Sc0 said:

I don't know much about Tanfo's but would doubt that the Xtreme versions use a different steel than production models... Internal parts and finish are different.

Yeah, I believe there’s more to it than what’s readily advertised and that’s why the Xtremes can cost over twice as much.

This is a long post about how Tanfoglio slides are extruded and finished:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/eaa-witness-still-cracking-or-improved.625113/

This is an article that says the Xtreme slides are billet and they use Lothar Walther barrels:

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/shooting/pistols/tanfoglio-xtreme-semiautomatic-pistols/

23 minutes ago, FALAR said:

The Lothar Walther barrels are not exclusive to the Xtreme pistols.  Ever wonder why so many models of Tanfolgios use Polygonal rifling?

Because Lothar Walther does.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Are all of the polygonal Tanfo barrels made from LW blanks? I'm certainly impressed with the accuracy of my Stock II; it's significantly better than my old standard model Witnesses which had conventional rifling.

As an aside, I'm using a Glock 19 barrel and a G35 (in 357 Sig) barrel which are both made from conventional rifled Lothar Walther blanks; both of those are exceptionally accurate as well. 

Looks like the whole extruded vs billet thing was bumpkis.

Got this from Tanfoglio headquarters today:

we received your message and we thank you.
No, the steel is the same.
The difference is in the surface treatment: hard chroming in regular Gold Custom, gun coating in the Xtreme one.
Then all the Xtreme parts.

Thanks

Best Regards / Cordiali Saluti
Customer Service

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATZiZmYAZC04Yzc1LWM5OQA0LTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA4lCxvD84FRLlsuQSB4Ax%2F4HACFLc5OlWvdPqQRabTQyLj8AAAIBDAAAACFLc5OlWvdPqQRabTQyLj8AAugod1UAAAABEgAQAP5p7d3GH8RBlFqXmk%2BM37s%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=q5JunHqTGkC4VIvPPmDMZZDNqEtJJtcYsMwxTqGN7J0pblUHKsthruhmIlXQ18q5LOYlWt3vBYM.&animation=true&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.OEmrJSPQ0KvbVxb8rgmCY0ri1hvCDsR7QyDCrYM4rdME5wsVx3Sjna7PBG1wOynckNikktzasCLVAHRF3OjXys5cbv4rk1tf-hPy9z4eJwMDcR7ak3uICzoLC6sIbiwu7QI1ZJMaoLYJSbvZH4K1Tbnlh9wnoqSPU_OJAObiwZK-KV7aDpw1cU6Ne7Xq2Zodekq6w1WBcNav1gXmJLuaJk_vJpv8GQu2odTyOoW5mV6G-DUviYDqCUB9f6V3LfuZLM3tv_lOTRo7jmFK4xlnZKCCL9Egimg52hhLBBmuTZEgp7SSFS9T_He3mGfgYZzCCTI8wmDAdHvm-iH3PdetTQ&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

I noticed they are really good about getting back to you with info like that if you email them directly, even considering the language factor.

I had always read that Tanfoglio barrels were "chrome lined" but they confirmed for me that just the OD was plated, not the chamber on bore like a "chrome lined" barrel.  I mean, looking at the barrels it seemed obvious to me but several people still INSISTED that they were "chrome lined" so I emailed and got an answer immediately.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. 

I gave the regular Gold Team another shot.  NIB.

A few differences from the old one I remember.  One, trigger pull was heavier.  About 4.5 to 5 pounds from factory.

Looks like a Unica sear.  I’m guessing it’s fully hardened as a result of the way it was fitted at the factory (filed down past finish on hammer engagement leg).  As a result, I smoothed it over.  2.5 pounds and much less post travel.  Feels like a completely different trigger but the parts are stock.

After 2,000 rounds - trigger feels the same and there is zero wear on the slide and barrel lugs, I’m happy to report.

Another difference from the old one - comp contacts slide from factory.  I e-mailed EAA and told them I was afraid to shoot it since the contact could cause the slide or comp to crack.  They replied and said that is the normal way they fit it and there are no issues they are aware of. 🤷‍♂️ 

We shall see.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:08 AM, Whoops! said:

Time for an update. 

I gave the regular Gold Team another shot.  NIB.

A few differences from the old one I remember.  One, trigger pull was heavier.  About 4.5 to 5 pounds from factory.

Looks like a Unica sear.  I’m guessing it’s fully hardened as a result of the way it was fitted at the factory (filed down past finish on hammer engagement leg).  As a result, I smoothed it over.  2.5 pounds and much less post travel.  Feels like a completely different trigger but the parts are stock.

After 2,000 rounds - trigger feels the same and there is zero wear on the slide and barrel lugs, I’m happy to report.

Another difference from the old one - comp contacts slide from factory.  I e-mailed EAA and told them I was afraid to shoot it since the contact could cause the slide or comp to crack.  They replied and said that is the normal way they fit it and there are no issues they are aware of. 🤷‍♂️ 

We shall see.

Thanks for the report. Slide/comp contact is normal, but not if it is leaving marks you can feel. I posted pics of mine doing that at a couple hundred rounds. Having other open guns with steel comps, I knew that it was not desireable on aluminum. So, I “broke” the sharp edge on the front top of the slide, and polished out the “chatter” on the comp. That cured it. 

2F57793A-16DE-46A1-A5BA-61CE1E6CAFFA.jpeg

052C0A92-5CFF-40B8-9084-990854EEF618.jpeg

Edited by Dan4147

• 3 months later...

I'm about 7000 rounds in now.  Got a 100% on a classifier the other day.  

Getting the ejection correct with low optic mounts is a bear on this thing as a result of the higher frame and inconsistent extractor tension.  Not too happy with how much testing I've had to do, but I'm pretty sure I have a reliable piece at this point.  

I went to a full Unica setup on the trigger.  After about 5,000 rounds with the polished and adjusted stock setup - I started to get some hammer follow.  I resurfaced that sear and it fixed it, probably for another 5,000 rounds, but I'd rather just have a perfect factory engagement that still yields about a 2.5 lb pull and keep the stock trigger parts as a backup.  Also, the Unica hammer legs are lower, so they enable the shorter post travel on the trigger with no work.  

One thing I did do was shorten the reset leg on the sear in order to reduce the reset length.  Worked perfectly. As others have reported, a few coils from the main spring had to be removed with the Unica hammer in order to prevent spring bind.

Most importantly - barrel lugs still look perfect.  What a relief.   Gun is as good as any I've ever shot when using Shooter's World Major Powder (most of my open guns have been 38 super/comp, this one is 9 major).

Also, almost forgot to mention - I don't recommend the IPSCAlex RTS mount.  Anyone who is able to get their Tanfo working with where that mount sits is practicing black magic or something.  The mount is so far back and so close to the slide, the brass would have to eject perfectly through just the right angle in the ejection port every single time in order to work.  I tried moving it forward one screw hole in order to give the ejection some leeway - and then the screws weren't spaced far enough apart to prevent the mount from rotating when I was also using a thumb rest (even when torqued past spec).  On top of it, the whole mount is too thin and flimsy.  Just don't get it.  

Edited by Whoops!

On 1/26/2020 at 10:52 PM, Whoops! said:

I'm about 7000 rounds in now.  Got a 100% on a classifier the other day.  

Getting the ejection correct with low optic mounts is a bear on this thing as a result of the higher frame and inconsistent extractor tension.  Not too happy with how much testing I've had to do, but I'm pretty sure I have a reliable piece at this point.  

I went to a full Unica setup on the trigger.  After about 5,000 rounds with the polished and adjusted stock setup - I started to get some hammer follow.  I resurfaced that sear and it fixed it, probably for another 5,000 rounds, but I'd rather just have a perfect factory engagement that still yields about a 2.5 lb pull and keep the stock trigger parts as a backup.  Also, the Unica hammer legs are lower, so they enable the shorter post travel on the trigger with no work.  

One thing I did do was shorten the reset leg on the sear in order to reduce the reset length.  Worked perfectly. As others have reported, a few coils from the main spring had to be removed with the Unica hammer in order to prevent spring bind.

Most importantly - barrel lugs still look perfect.  What a relief.   Gun is as good as any I've ever shot when using Shooter's World Major Powder (most of my open guns have been 38 super/comp, this one is 9 major).

Also, almost forgot to mention - I don't recommend the IPSCAlex RTS mount.  Anyone who is able to get their Tanfo working with where that mount sits is practicing black magic or something.  The mount is so far back and so close to the slide, the brass would have to eject perfectly through just the right angle in the ejection port every single time in order to work.  I tried moving it forward one screw hole in order to give the ejection some leeway - and then the screws weren't spaced far enough apart to prevent the mount from rotating when I was also using a thumb rest (even when torqued past spec).  On top of it, the whole mount is too thin and flimsy.  Just don't get it.  

Thanks for the follow up.  I went thru the same ejection hell as you with the ia mount and rts2.  What did you end up with?  I just got the eaa picatinny  mount and use 1 side.

I use the EAA two sided rail mount with a Romeo 3xl.  I cut off the back of the mount so there are only 3 slots available.

It’s way uglier than the IPSC Alex mount, but it works great.

Edited by Whoops!

3 hours ago, Whoops! said:

I use the EAA two sided rail mount with a Romeo 3xl.  I cut off the back of the mount so there are only 3 slots available.

It’s way uglier than the IPSC Alex mount, but it works great.

Same here. But I only used 1 side to mount.