Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matches and Brass

RandyBaker

I think this has a lot to do with where you shoot.  Every club I shoot as has restrictions.  At one club, firing a shot one second after 4 PM results in a $1000 fine and a trip before the Board.  Termination is the typical result.

Most clubs have a no shooting after dusk policy.  So in Nov thru Feb you really have to hustle to finish before dusk.

Last year I made one feeble attempt to pick up some brass after a match. Early in the day I asked permission from the range owner and with a smile he said " absolutely, get all you can".  After the match concluded and we had everything torn down I realized why he was smiling. His young son and two of his sons friends beat me to the punch. Ruthless little scavengers. I think they might have missed one rimfire case is six bays. Remembered why I shoot 9. So much easier to just buy used. 

On 8/16/2019 at 12:17 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

I'd happily leave it on the ground, but at matches I run I have to pick it up - wanted or not - because we are obliged to leave the range as we found it.

Yeppers!!!!!

However, there are loss brass matches.  I suspect to keep the match moving along and eliminate potential delays.  However at RIO the CRO/ROs pick up the brass at the conclusion of the match.

Although, I think a boy scout troop or Jr ROTC should perform a community service and pick up our brass.  😎

I always figured its one of those unwritten rules that you don't pick up brass until the bay is cleaned up.

Like most others said, most local matches seem ok.  Bigger matches are usually lost brass (but I wouldn't know for sure, by the end of the day Im tired and ready to go home!)

Lost brass matches is why I switched from 38 super comp to 9 major. I purchased a lot of 9mm brass @.01 ea.it doesn’t bother me to leave my brass besides you never know how many times they’ve been fired.

At the matches that I've been going to, you don't have all that much time for it during the shooting. People also focus on the shooting. After shooting is done, pick all you want. Most ranges have a policy that the brass must be removed, anyway.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:04 AM, Part_time_redneck said:

Last year I made one feeble attempt to pick up some brass after a match. Early in the day I asked permission from the range owner and with a smile he said " absolutely, get all you can".  After the match concluded and we had everything torn down I realized why he was smiling. His young son and two of his sons friends beat me to the punch. Ruthless little scavengers. I think they might have missed one rimfire case is six bays. Remembered why I shoot 9. So much easier to just buy used. 

That should be made well known to all who come to shoot. That’s basically theft on the owners part. Long ago we had a local shooter who would bring his kids to matches and they picked up everybody’s brass and kept it. That got ended quickly and none of them ever came back.

Locally we allow Brass to be picked up after cleanup or when waiting for the next bay to clear if nobody is on your current bay. Problem is around here all our bays are Sand. Brass gets buried quickly. For steel challenge and knockdown steel we put out tarps to catch the brass. In the past if you put out the tarps the brass was yours. now it seems that the second a squad finishes shooting the stage the clear the tarp. Makes the effort of putting out tarps and cleaning them up for yourself not worth it.

90% of my shooting is practice so I just recover that and I usually shoot 400 rounds and pickup 450, so Ill take the loss. If I were shooting something weird I may try but 9/45 Ive got tons of it.

• 3 weeks later...

After Match is done. Everyone helps to break down. Once its all done and if there is time. Pick up your brass.

This is why I shoot 9Major. (I do buy new brass for Major Matches only) I like to just worry about shooting.

I cant imagine shooting 38SC ... we let 38SC guys pick up their brass after they shot the stage or anytime really. Poor souls . 😃