Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matches and Brass

RandyBaker

15 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

If you want to pick brass at the end of my match have at it. But you have until the end of me cleaning up and moving everygtingbwhere it needs to be.  That gives you half to an hour usually. 

I did things a bit differently. If you wanted to pick brass after the match you must help put everything away before doing so. Nothing pissed me off more than guys picking up brass the whole time 3-4 of us put everything away.

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I did things a bit differently. If you wanted to pick brass after the match you must help put everything away before doing so. Nothing pissed me off more than guys picking up brass the whole time 3-4 of us put everything away.

Our matches require each squad to tear down their last stage.  A couple of us bring trailers and we generally have everything hauled to the garage and put away inside a half an hour.  That is a 5 field course and classifier sized match.

9 minutes ago, RandyBaker said:

Thanks for the tips on proper etiquette. No problem helping clean up first I just want my 200 pieces of brass back...lol

If you stay at this game long soon it'll hit you that you can buy 5000 pieces of 9mm brass for a hundred bucks or so. That beats the heck out of pecking for brass instead of thinking about the task at hand. Especially if it's 90+ degrees and you want to go grab beer and wings with the gang.:cheers:

This is all gonna be match and range specific, seems there are many different setups. You will just have to see what works.
One club I shot had an RO, shooter, scorekeeper, tapers and brassers that rotated. Brassers dumped brass on a barrel at back of stage. The reloaders marked their brass, and picked theirs out. all the extra brass went in a bucket.After tear down and waiting on scores all the buckets went on a big frame with a screen bottom.. We sat around and divied it up while waiting on scores.
Other club I shot range was used heavily by LEO during week.  Ground was thick with once fired 40.. Show up hour or so early and pick up hundreds. till MD arrived and opened prop shed..  Match itself,  I just let mine lie didnt worry about it.
Other club was a club range but tended to have a bit of brass. Was pretty easy during stages to pick up a couple handfuls of brass during each stage.. So basically left with more or the same I came with.
Other club match was LOST BRASS in the match book and brass was basically payment for the fixed RO's 

Realistically though the best attitude is to go into matches assuming lost brass. If there is a lull in a stage, or u can get some at end,  its a bonus. 

54 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If you stay at this game long soon it'll hit you that you can buy 5000 pieces of 9mm brass for a hundred bucks or so. That beats the heck out of pecking for brass instead of thinking about the task at hand. Especially if it's 90+ degrees and you want to go grab beer and wings with the gang.:cheers:

I never thought of it that way but your right 5000 pieces would last me along time.

42 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

I'd happily leave it on the ground, but at matches I run I have to pick it up - wanted or not - because we are obliged to leave the range as we found it.

Wow. We have brass buzzards waiting for us to leave LOL

18 hours ago, Joe4d said:

This is all gonna be match and range specific, seems there are many different setups. You will just have to see what works.
  the best attitude is to go   assuming lost brass.  

I've shot matches at 20+ different ranges all up and down the East Coast,

plus the Nat'ls one year.

Each is different.

Watch what everyone else is doing, and do that  …   and as Joe4d said, assume it's

a "lost brass match" - if not, it's a bonus.    :) 

13 hours ago, stick said:

Isn't that why we have kids?  When my 11 year old son decides to watch me shoot a match, I have him pick up brass between stages using the brass wizard.  

I can't believe I've never seen that before, I'm definitely going to pick one up. 

32 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Wow. We have brass buzzards waiting for us to leave LOL

Rifle brass is the real problem - a lot fewer folks reload rifle than pistol. With the price of factory 55gr FMJ these days, I have stopped reloading hoser ammo entirely, despite sitting on gallons of brass and a very efficient brass prep/reloading setup.

15 minutes ago, regor said:

I can't believe I've never seen that before, I'm definitely going to pick one up. 

wOW WHAT A RIP OFF,  Those things are like 12 bucks in the south. They are used to harvest pecans. Got one here.
For brass they are good for indoor, or hardpack. Not so good for uneven grass back yards

43 minutes ago, StealthyBlagga said:

Rifle brass is the real problem - a lot fewer folks reload rifle than pistol. With the price of factory 55gr FMJ these days, I have stopped reloading hoser ammo entirely, despite sitting on gallons of brass and a very efficient brass prep/reloading setup.

Ah. Yeah I was thinking pistol only. Makes sense.

I RO at matches, so all mine are essentially lost brass matches.  I don't care.  I used to buy cleaned 40sw brass for 3 cents each.  Now that I shoot Open I buy fully processed brass in lots of 6000 for 4 cents each.  I'm through my first lot this year and just ordered another 6000.  I recover a lot of brass I shoot for practice (brass catcher) but I've decided I'm not going to reload it.  It isn't worth the bother to me.  I'll sell it to my buddies for $10/500.

I'll run about 10,000 9mm this year between USPSA and SCSA.  It is worth the $400 to me, because I don't have to do anything except load, shoot and leave it.

FWIW, all five clubs I shoot at allow you to pick up brass after everything has been put away.  Some people do.

13 hours ago, revoman said:

Shoot a moon clipped revolver and get it all back every time. 😃 Just had to throw this in here.

I just have "to throw this in here", also - I'd rather shoot cap'n ball than

shoot a 32 round COF with a revolver.

Might take until the next Ice Age before I got thru an entire match.     😂     ❄️

27 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I just have "to throw this in here", also - I'd rather shoot cap'n ball than

shoot a 32 round COF with a revolver.

Might take until the next Ice Age before I got thru an entire match.     😂     ❄️

Well at least you wouldn’t have to worry about picking up brass with cap and ball. Actually pre-loaded cylinders on your belt and you would definitely need to use some suspenders 😂😂😂

• 2 months later...

All the local level 1 matches I shoot we are required to pick up brass, there are usually 1-2 shooters who will always pick up brass between shooters and either give it back to the previous shooter or put it on a barrel which is up for grabs. All the level 2 matches I shoot are lost brass matches, it makes for quicker stages and the RO’s who are working those stages gets to keep all the brass they pick up.