Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another division or move up?

Mcfoto

Which division next?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've met my major goal for the year and classified in Revolver. Another D but I'll take it. My commitment was to make myself shoot Revolver for a full season, but I'm pretty sure it's not my forever division in USPSA. Don't get me wrong, I still love shooting wheelie but I'm coming to the realization that USPSA is a high-cap game and it's more fun with some capacity and a sub-5 pound trigger. Thank goodness we have ICORE locally so I can keep shooting there. I have a slot for the Low-Cap Nats but at this point, I'm probably going to let it go. I've already shot two majors this year and it feels like that's plenty.

So what's next? I've got a G17 MOS coming from GSSF, so the temptation is to join the cool kids in Carry Optics. It might be the cure for the old guy eyes. On the other hand, when I look at my classifications and see all those D's, I think it'd be great to concentrate on one and move up a bit. My best classifiers have been in Limited where I'm currently in the low 30's. My .40 plastic fantastic is my most accurate gun and I've got a load very dialed in for it. Part of me wants to forget the dot and start over in Production with the G17 and see how far I can get with a stock gun. I'm kind of burned out on the gear chase right now.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and insights. Poll included for easy opining.

So there's many recommendations I could make but you verbalized the most important aspect of your future success which is your vision. Carry Optics i think will be the division to settle in to for you as any improvement you can make in vision will ultimately help you shoot faster and accurately. It truly is a fun division, I dabble in it when I'm not doing Limited, as you have the hi capacity but must respect the points more so than Open. Plus, you can buy ammo straight off the shelf very affordably if you don't have any loaded up. CO double its participation last year and I assume it will overtake Open in participation within the next year or two. Good luck!

One thing to keep in mind, especially in our section, is that the competition level (and number of shooters) in CO is going to be far greater than you are accustomed to in Revolver over the past year, but then you probably already know that from having participated in local matches in both Limited and Revolver. Plus, the number of people shooting CO is growing steadily and will only continue to do so. If it looks attractive to you, keep in mind that it does to others as well. Guess my advice is to pick a division and stick with it until you run out the string on you skill level, whether it is Limited, Revolver, or Carry Optics.

If you are a 4-division D class shooter, there is a lot of low hanging fruit.  Pick one division, Carry optics as suggested above makes sense due to aging vision and cheap ammo, and practice.  Get a dry fire book, take a class, work on fundamentals, etc. It sounds like you've been doing this too long to be stuck in the 30% range. And let's be realistic, revolver is dead in USPSA.  Save it for ICORE

12 minutes ago, Balakay said:

And let's be realistic, revolver is dead in USPSA. 

Maybe that is why I enjoy dabbling with it now and then :) , just competing with yourself quite often and that is sort of back to the reason I started to love shooting, the only goals being to do your best and enjoy the time with friends. 

For the op, there ain't gonna be women or money in this no matter what you pick. The G17 in production will keep you out of the dead batteries / broken sight / oops I forgot to turn the dot on again and will seem a lot easier after fighting the wheel gun all year, might be fun, only you can decide. 10+1 is luxurious after 8+0 or even 6. 

I would seriously take some time to determine what will help you get to

a C+ or a B- card.

Pick whichever gun you would like to shoot - and analyze what you

need to do to improve from a D.

Doesn't matter which gun - pick one - than practice - get some help -

are you dry firing ?   -  how many rounds/year are you shooting ?

You should NOT be a D after a year of concentrated shooting, IMHO.

Is it speed ?   accuracy ?   Physical handicap ?

It seems to me that you're doing a lot of jumping around or searching for the "answer"  As others have said, pick one gun/division and become proficient with it.  It's not really hard to go from D to C in a division with a little of practice.

My $.02 is try carry optics, I know some people you can borrow equipment from before you spend any money.

CO would be good for a couple of reasons, but to me the biggest is, dots are like little kids, drunks, and yoga pants, they don't lie, they give you the immediate feedback of the dot moving when you pull the trigger that can help you see whats happening and hopefully learn to correct it.  Like Whitefish said there are lots of CO shooters locally and I think that is a good thing for comparing stage plans and a community to learn from.

PS you can try a revo with a dot for ICORE too, also know where yo can try one.

18 hours ago, Balakay said:

And let's be realistic, revolver is dead in USPSA.  

But that is how you get division stage and match wins. Nothing like taking first and last place at the same time by being only competitor.... 🙂

Edited by broadside72

If you really want to get out of D class you should probably pick a division you like and practice it. Getting out of D shouldn't be that hard.

If you're having fun, like playing with new stuff and don't really care about improving just pick what ever you think looks like the most fun. No one here can answer this question for you.

48 minutes ago, broadside72 said:

But that is how you get division stage and match wins. Nothing like taking first and last place at the same time by being only competitor.... 🙂

in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king

I wouldn't base the decision on what classifiers are the best right now.  Shoot the division you enjoy the most!  If you like shooting a dot, sounds like you would enjoy Carry Optics :)   I agree with Burgess, a dot can also help a lot with knowing what your sights are doing and how to correct it - helps make you a better irons shooter as well.  Pick a division that appeals to you the most and then stick with it; with a little dryfire and time behind the same gun, those classifier scores will rise.

Thanks for all the responses. Please, keep them coming.

answers for questions:

dry fire: 3 to 4 days a week, 20 minutes, drills from Anderson 

live fire: one USPSA match and one ICORE match a month, on the weekends with no match I shoot 100 to 200 rounds

physical limitations: senior but still kicking, beat two boughts with the big C, Limited movement in strong hand shoulder, and a general lack of athleticism (sports career ended when try-outs began). But no excuse! I’ve seen folks who can barely walk outshoot me.

1 hour ago, Balakay said:

in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king

I wish. We have very strong Revolver shooters here including someone on this thread who just made GM.

1 hour ago, Mcfoto said:

dry fire: 3 to 4 days a week, 20 minutes, drills from Anderson 

live fire: one USPSA match and one ICORE match a month, on the weekends with no match I shoot 100 to 200 rounds

How long have you been doing this? You should not be in D class long working like that. Makes me think something is missing. My guess would in how you're dry firing, not how much.

Are you using his first 12 drills he preaches?

On 8/16/2019 at 11:59 AM, Racinready300ex said:

How long have you been doing this? You should not be in D class long working like that. Makes me think something is missing. 

He shoots one match/classifier a month. He very well could be a High D $39.99% with some low/mid C Classifiers and then tank a classifier. That's the problem with D Class ...a 10% Classifier score counts and drags the overall average waaaaaay down and takes forever to drop off. Remember pretty much all of them (>2%) count. I'm pretty sure Dundee has a Classifier Match in the spring.

Edited by WaJim

I’d pick a division you’re interested in, preferably not revolver, and then seek out some training. Going to a class where you could hone some fundamentals, learn to break stages down better, develop plans and execute them would go a long way in helping you get over the classification hump in all the division you like to shoot. 

Pick one stick with it. You will never get better if you don’t put in the work and if you keep switching. Ask me how I know! Having said that I shoot with people who don’t care and enjoy the people they shoot with. You don’t have to be an B,A or Master to enjoy the sport. Although for me trying to get better kept me interested for a long time.

6 hours ago, WaJim said:

He shoots one match/classifier a month. He very well could be a High D $39.99% with some low/mid C Classifiers and then tank a classifier. That's the problem with D Class ...a 10% Classifier score counts and drags the overall average waaaaaay down and takes forever to drop off. Remember pretty much all of them (>2%) count. I'm pretty sure Dundee has a Classifier Match in the spring.

You hit the nail on head. In fact, my first two revolver classifiers were C’s but a couple chokes brought me back down to the cellar.

shoot whatever sounds like the most fun, except for PCC, which is retarded no matter how much you like it.  ;)

If you haven't seriously shot a red-dot gun before, it might be worth trying out. I don't know what your eyesight is like but I know most of us older folks have a bit of a disadvantage in the vision department. I don't really like shooting red dots, but I found that even doing steel challenge with a red dot on my 22 pistol caused me to start seeing a lot of aiming and shooting information that i was previously unaware of, and then when I went back to the Lord's own proper sights, I hungered for similar info, and started paying enough attention to see it. I'm going to suffer through shooting CO again this winter to learn more, and so I don't have to grip a steel grip limited gun in below freezing weather.

21 hours ago, WaJim said:

True, really all the classifications are that way and everyone thinks the one they're stuck at is the hard one. But that is why I asked how long he had been doing this. If you dry fire and live fire regularly and you're putting up 10% runs on classifiers something is wrong with your practice. Not meant to be a insult. With proper practice you shouldn't be D class unless maybe there is a disability or something.

If classifiers aren't your thing, in a popular division it only takes one Major to get a match bump. But you need to be shooting a "real division" like Limited, Open or production. It's not happening in revolver.