Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp Falcon hardcast bullets

ghost21

Why use hard alloy for .45 Auto? To me, 11-13 BHN is hard and more than hard enough for .45. If worried about leading, get coated bullets.

I have never gotten bad bullets from a commercial source, though I have had a couple that were undersized for my gun (and, yes, HARD lead does do a lot  more leading then "soft" if fit isn't there), but even the really ugly National Bullet Co. bullets shot very accurately out to 25 yds. All you need with lead bullets and handguns is to have the base completely filled out without any wrinkles at the base.

I have not tried those exact bullets.  But I have in the past loaded very similar bullets.  Most all the bigger casters get their molds from the same place.  Most get their lead from the same place(s), and most use that nasty blue lube that's way to hard for the intended purpose.

Strikes against these bullets.

1.  Bevel base.  

2.  Alloy is way to hard for the intended purpose, alloy that is too hard can cause worse leading than softer alloys.

3.  Lube is way to hard for the intended purpose.  I've recovered fired bullets using this blue lube and all the lube was intact.  That's not good at all.

The alloy and lube are picked to avoid damage during shipping, NOT because it's what works well.  Bevel based bullets might load easier but when combined with #2 and #3 on the list above can lead to horrible leading.

My suggestion...MIssouri Bullet Company.

I use Missouri bullets ! I was asking about falcon, because I seen them online. In fact just ordered 1000 of Missouri IDP#1 200gr semi wadcutter

I prefer the their uncoated bullets and they do have the blue lube. I've shot 1000s of these never a problem with leading !

Don't know if falcons blue lube is the same as Missouri But it doesn't cause a problem for me.

Just saying .

Thanks for the reply though

Jeff