Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX PCC arrived!!

Congrats!  I was following your threads while making a decision on mine also. i ended up with a jp. Are you still getting both?

Man, you have a lot of patience. I know it's necessary because of your location, but still.....

Hope you like it.

41 minutes ago, egd5 said:

Congrats!  I was following your threads while making a decision on mine also. i ended up with a jp. Are you still getting both?

Man, you have a lot of patience. I know it's necessary because of your location, but still.....

Hope you like it.

Tnx! Will shoot it tomorrow! JP arrived in France, now waiting for final permit... Best one stays 🙂

• 1 month later...

Pfff as for reliability I don't know. FTF with 124 gn hollow points PF 132, FTF with 147gn RN with slower powder PF 133. Loaded longer, shorter tried everything. Cleaned all several times then 50 rounds go ok, then FTF's... Maybe load even hotter???

Factory 115 gns PF 150 no problem...

I recently bought a JP but debated over that or an MPX. In my research it seemed that most people who had no problems with the MPX were running a little hotter ammo-around 140 to 145 PF. I got the impression that the MPX just needed more oomph to make the gas system work at its best.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:49 PM, 45 Raven said:

Do you mind sharing your load and PF on the hand loads that helped the reliability of your MPX PCC?

124 Grain Precision Delta JHP or RMR 124 FMJ

Seated 1.13 

AA # 5 6.0 grains or

W231 4.4 grains

Both of these seem to be working well and are pretty soft shooting.

I found some Autocomp loads that were pretty nice shooting, but didn't shoot enough of them to say for sure they are reliable.

I tried some N320 loads, but couldn't get that powder to work reliably. 

The only issue I was having is failure to feed. The round would go vertical in the chamber trying to load. 

Happened with all bullet profiles and lengths if they were light, fast powder loads. Running the gun wet also seems to help with this.

Edited by Excursion12
5 hours ago, Excursion12 said:

124 Grain Precision Delta JHP or RMR 124 FMJ

Seated 1.13 

AA # 5 6.0 grains or

W231 4.4 grains

Both of these seem to be working well and are pretty soft shooting.

I found some Autocomp loads that were pretty nice shooting, but didn't shoot enough of them to say for sure they are reliable.

I tried some N320 loads, but couldn't get that powder to work reliably. 

The only issue I was having is failure to feed. The round would go vertical in the chamber trying to load. 

Happened with all bullet profiles and lengths if they were light, fast powder loads. Running the gun wet also seems to help with this.

Thanks very much for this information.

From my experience you dont necessarily need more power factor, you need more gas to run the gun. I did a lot of testing 115, 124, 147 and something like 6-7 powders. All things being equal the powder charge nearly determines cycling, so lightest bullet and slowest powder = largest charge and the gun will run with sub minor loads. The sweet spot for me was middle of the road, about 4 grains give or take of a mid-fast powder like 231 or N320 with 115 or 124 was 135 pf ish and ran perfectly. The less than 3 grains of N310 with a 147 is a no go in a gas gun, and 5+ grains of autocomp runs but recoils significantly more. 

14 hours ago, inertia said:

From my experience you dont necessarily need more power factor, you need more gas to run the gun. I did a lot of testing 115, 124, 147 and something like 6-7 powders. All things being equal the powder charge nearly determines cycling, so lightest bullet and slowest powder = largest charge and the gun will run with sub minor loads. The sweet spot for me was middle of the road, about 4 grains give or take of a mid-fast powder like 231 or N320 with 115 or 124 was 135 pf ish and ran perfectly. The less than 3 grains of N310 with a 147 is a no go in a gas gun, and 5+ grains of autocomp runs but recoils significantly more. 

Tnx, this with the newest version so, MPX PCC??

I have a gen 2 and the new pcc, the newer gun is less picky about ammo than the old one. The loads I picked as best balance of accuracy, recoil and reliability in my picky one run perfectly in the new one. One last idea, my original gen 2 mags had very stiff mag springs that exacerbated feeding problems. I would break them in aggressively and or add some extensions that reduce spring pressure a bit, that has helped my guns maintain cycling reliability as well.

54 minutes ago, inertia said:

I have a gen 2 and the new pcc, the newer gun is less picky about ammo than the old one. The loads I picked as best balance of accuracy, recoil and reliability in my picky one run perfectly in the new one. One last idea, my original gen 2 mags had very stiff mag springs that exacerbated feeding problems. I would break them in aggressively and or add some extensions that reduce spring pressure a bit, that has helped my guns maintain cycling reliability as well.

tnx, will reproduce that load (also) and check the mag springs (leave them some days full). Need a solution since Sunday I shot 100 rounds factory 115's (Geco) with 149 PF and had 3 stove pipes... this after cleaning and rifle completely standard... 1000 rounds bt now... I just want it to run reliable since `i like it very much!