Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
thormx538

P320 Open gun (optic mounts?)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The TXG grip module has me thinking about a 320 Open gun project again, for fun. Plenty of options for comps and barrels, but does anyone know of a fixed mounting system for the optic? I'd imagine you could drill/tap the FCU for rigidity (there's a lot of real estate on the left side, and a little bit on the right), but the question is whether or not something exists already for this or if I'd have to prototype/modify an existing one (such as modifying a Carver XDM mount, or an SJC/ALG Glock mount)

 

I've seen a "Neumount" rail mounted one made in the past but they seem to be out of business now

Edited by thormx538

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Figured there had to be some downside to that with 9mm Major, either in terms of tuning (reciprocating mass, ejection, etc) or lifespan of the optic. Slide mount would also preclude a C-More from being used

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello: If you want to use a standard C-More slide ride then I would look at a two sided mount that is screwed to the frame with a metal support plate on the inside of the grip to sandwich the frame. That would give you a nice secure base. Thanks, Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’ve been looking for something like this for quite a while. Unfortunately to my knowledge there aren’t currently any of these kinds of mounts available on the market, however I’m aware of several companies that are either known or rumored to be working on metal grip modules (aluminum or steel). Once one of those gets on the market, it will lend itself much better to a frame-mounted optic as you’ll be able to drill and tap the grip module itself.

 

You could also join me in encouraging/pestering SJC Guns to develop a version of their micro dot mount for the P320 platform, which would install by mounting to the FCU through the polymer grip in the same way their mounts for Glocks and M&Ps currently work;

 

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sight-mounts/

Edited by Rudukai13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A buddy of mine is going to mock something up in Solidworks for me when he gets a chance.

 

The issue I see is that the serial number area is a prime mounting location in terms of where to drill/tap. This wouldn't matter on an 80% FCU obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 3:03 PM, thormx538 said:

The TXG grip module has me thinking about a 320 Open gun project again, for fun. Plenty of options for comps and barrels, but does anyone know of a fixed mounting system for the optic? I'd imagine you could drill/tap the FCU for rigidity (there's a lot of real estate on the left side, and a little bit on the right), but the question is whether or not something exists already for this or if I'd have to prototype/modify an existing one (such as modifying a Carver XDM mount, or an SJC/ALG Glock mount)

 

I've seen a "Neumount" rail mounted one made in the past but they seem to be out of business now

Not out of business.  I just received a Neumount in cerekote for my CZP09 to mount a Holosun 507C (Poly fun open gun project too!).  Took a few weeks.  Excellent fit.  Good guy I suspect is a one man show, took the time to call me back and answer questions.  The website is not mobile device friendly but fine with a PC/Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GMP said:

Not out of business.  I just received a Neumount in cerekote for my CZP09 to mount a Holosun 507C (Poly fun open gun project too!).  Took a few weeks.  Excellent fit.  Good guy I suspect is a one man show, took the time to call me back and answer questions.  The website is not mobile device friendly but fine with a PC/Mac.

 

Interesting. I can't get it to load on any device, so I just assumed it was defunct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, thormx538 said:

 

Interesting. I can't get it to load on any device, so I just assumed it was defunct.

I had the same issue.  I was interested to see what the mount looked like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought,  the C More Slideride was originally designed to ride "on the slide" of a Glock, so it should withstand the abuse if you mounted directly to your slide. 

Good luck with your project, 

SDTMatch40 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the Glock Store offered a universal mount that attracted to the accessory rail or any pistol to mount a stationary red dot. I haven't looked lately but might be worth investigating. 

Regards, 

SDTMatch40 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re willing to wait a bit longer, there are several companies working on aluminum/steel grip modules for the P320. One of those would make for a much more solid mounting point, as you could drill and tap the optic mount straight into the dustcover portion of the grip module as on a 2011. Here’s a teaser from one such company;

 

12892326-AF84-4C3F-B310-CA3DFE109DBA.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I'll have to follow them on IG.

 

I haven't done anything additional on this since making the thread. Probably a winter project.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

If you’re willing to wait a bit longer, there are several companies working on aluminum/steel grip modules for the P320. One of those would make for a much more solid mounting point, as you could drill and tap the optic mount straight into the dustcover portion of the grip module as on a 2011. Here’s a teaser from one such company;

 

12892326-AF84-4C3F-B310-CA3DFE109DBA.png

 

How would those work out if you shoot CO ? Would they be  they legal  ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, dgrdvm said:

 

How would those work out if you shoot CO ? Would they be  they legal  ? 

No. CO is slide mount only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgrdvm said:

 

How would those work out if you shoot CO ? Would they be  they legal  ? 

I believe a in order to be legal in CO it has to start out as legal in Production. Different frame would automatically DQ in CO. Would only qualify for Open with an optic or possibly Limited (10) without optic.

But OP was inquiring about Open so then it would be legal.

SDTMatch40 

Edited by SDTMatch40
Additional details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rules say you can change the grip??????!!!!!!!!

and we know just about everything is legal now a days (maybe we should change the name of production to Production open )

It's meant as a joke, take it that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have an answer to this question this Friday. I had an idea that’s being put into motion, just waiting on USPS shipping...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

I may have an answer to this question this Friday. I had an idea that’s being put into motion, just waiting on USPS shipping...

 

Cool. I'll pay attention to your Nemesis thread. I noticed whatever it is, it's coming from Atlas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thormx538 said:

 

Cool. I'll pay attention to your Nemesis thread. I noticed whatever it is, it's coming from Atlas 

 

It’s a gamble, but we’ll find out Friday if it pays off...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Atlas Gunworks 2011 optic mount fits the P320 like it was made for it. If you can figure out a way to reinforce the polymer dustcover, you can use the Atlas mount for your open gun project;

 

6C4872AC-B91B-46F7-8FA5-9CFEE6F499B8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello: Look at what I said above about adding a metal plate on the inside of the frame to sandwich the plastic frame in between. A little milling to clear the plate from the slide and you should be good. Thanks, Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...