Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Open gun (optic mounts?)

thormx538

The TXG grip module has me thinking about a 320 Open gun project again, for fun. Plenty of options for comps and barrels, but does anyone know of a fixed mounting system for the optic? I'd imagine you could drill/tap the FCU for rigidity (there's a lot of real estate on the left side, and a little bit on the right), but the question is whether or not something exists already for this or if I'd have to prototype/modify an existing one (such as modifying a Carver XDM mount, or an SJC/ALG Glock mount)

I've seen a "Neumount" rail mounted one made in the past but they seem to be out of business now

Edited by thormx538

Hello: If you want to use a standard C-More slide ride then I would look at a two sided mount that is screwed to the frame with a metal support plate on the inside of the grip to sandwich the frame. That would give you a nice secure base. Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been looking for something like this for quite a while. Unfortunately to my knowledge there aren’t currently any of these kinds of mounts available on the market, however I’m aware of several companies that are either known or rumored to be working on metal grip modules (aluminum or steel). Once one of those gets on the market, it will lend itself much better to a frame-mounted optic as you’ll be able to drill and tap the grip module itself.

You could also join me in encouraging/pestering SJC Guns to develop a version of their micro dot mount for the P320 platform, which would install by mounting to the FCU through the polymer grip in the same way their mounts for Glocks and M&Ps currently work;

https://stores.sjcguns.com/sight-mounts/

Edited by Rudukai13

A buddy of mine is going to mock something up in Solidworks for me when he gets a chance.

The issue I see is that the serial number area is a prime mounting location in terms of where to drill/tap. This wouldn't matter on an 80% FCU obviously.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:03 PM, thormx538 said:

The TXG grip module has me thinking about a 320 Open gun project again, for fun. Plenty of options for comps and barrels, but does anyone know of a fixed mounting system for the optic? I'd imagine you could drill/tap the FCU for rigidity (there's a lot of real estate on the left side, and a little bit on the right), but the question is whether or not something exists already for this or if I'd have to prototype/modify an existing one (such as modifying a Carver XDM mount, or an SJC/ALG Glock mount)

I've seen a "Neumount" rail mounted one made in the past but they seem to be out of business now

Not out of business.  I just received a Neumount in cerekote for my CZP09 to mount a Holosun 507C (Poly fun open gun project too!).  Took a few weeks.  Excellent fit.  Good guy I suspect is a one man show, took the time to call me back and answer questions.  The website is not mobile device friendly but fine with a PC/Mac.

3 minutes ago, GMP said:

Not out of business.  I just received a Neumount in cerekote for my CZP09 to mount a Holosun 507C (Poly fun open gun project too!).  Took a few weeks.  Excellent fit.  Good guy I suspect is a one man show, took the time to call me back and answer questions.  The website is not mobile device friendly but fine with a PC/Mac.

Interesting. I can't get it to load on any device, so I just assumed it was defunct.

7 minutes ago, thormx538 said:

Interesting. I can't get it to load on any device, so I just assumed it was defunct.

I had the same issue.  I was interested to see what the mount looked like.

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re willing to wait a bit longer, there are several companies working on aluminum/steel grip modules for the P320. One of those would make for a much more solid mounting point, as you could drill and tap the optic mount straight into the dustcover portion of the grip module as on a 2011. Here’s a teaser from one such company;

12892326-AF84-4C3F-B310-CA3DFE109DBA.png

14 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

If you’re willing to wait a bit longer, there are several companies working on aluminum/steel grip modules for the P320. One of those would make for a much more solid mounting point, as you could drill and tap the optic mount straight into the dustcover portion of the grip module as on a 2011. Here’s a teaser from one such company;

12892326-AF84-4C3F-B310-CA3DFE109DBA.png

How would those work out if you shoot CO ? Would they be  they legal  ? 

1 hour ago, dgrdvm said:

How would those work out if you shoot CO ? Would they be  they legal  ? 

I believe a in order to be legal in CO it has to start out as legal in Production. Different frame would automatically DQ in CO. Would only qualify for Open with an optic or possibly Limited (10) without optic.

But OP was inquiring about Open so then it would be legal.

SDTMatch40 

Edited by SDTMatch40
Additional details

Rules say you can change the grip??????!!!!!!!!

and we know just about everything is legal now a days (maybe we should change the name of production to Production open )

It's meant as a joke, take it that way!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

I may have an answer to this question this Friday. I had an idea that’s being put into motion, just waiting on USPS shipping...

Cool. I'll pay attention to your Nemesis thread. I noticed whatever it is, it's coming from Atlas 

• 2 years later...

I haven’t figured out the picture adding feature yet but if you have IG, search dfeltyberger. He has a open p320 he’s working on. May be able to steal some ideas. 

also, that aluminum grip looks like a game changer for anyone, like me, wanting to tinker and build an open gun also. Pretty awesome. 

4 hours ago, Degnan said:

Is this project feasible now that Sig released the AXG grip module?  

Yes

0EEAE921-D3FD-4D66-9A22-884A8F7BAAA0.jpe

D398ADEE-D3E6-44F5-A902-E78EE9986C2B.jpe

I used the Icarus Precision grip module, but the AXG will work just as well. The Atlas Gunworks optic mount fits without modification, you just have to drill and tap the holes. I know of two other shooters who have built Open P320s using the Atlas mount and aluminum grip modules and they’ve had no issues either