Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix my Jam

Aforum55

Been running RN bullets with an OAL at 1.15 in my 9 major open pistol. Tried some HP Precision Delta and the nose Dive in the magazine hen filled with 29 rounds. Thoughts? 

Edited by Aforum55

10 hours ago, Aforum55 said:

Been running RN bullets with an OAL at 1.15 in my 9 major open pistol. Tried some HP Precision Delta and the nose Dive in the magazine hen filled with 29 rounds. Thoughts? 

Looking at the HP Precision Delta's, they appear to be conical.  So they likely have a narrower shoulder and are hitting the feed ramp further up the bullet.  Hold the two load up with the HP in front of the RN.  I bet you can see the RN from behind the HP.  If you can tolerate a longer OAL, that might help.

Or.....

Have you tried RMR's HPs.  Very popular around here.  

Edited by blackfatbob
hitting further up the bulleet

25 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If the RN 1.15's are still running, probably not the springs, but they're cheap - why not replace them?

As Guy mentioned, I'd suspect the OAL - have you run The Plunk Test on the new bullets ?

Springs are brand new! I can't even get them out of the magazine, "Plunk test" isn't relevant at this point. 

8 minutes ago, blackfatbob said:

Looking at the HP Precision Delta's, they appear to be conical.  So they likely have a narrower shoulder and are hitting the feed ramp further down the bullet.  Hold the two load up with the HP in front of the RN.  I bet you can see the RN from behind the HP.  If you can tolerate a longer OAL, that might help.

Or.....

That's what I'll try next. I'm currently running the HP Deltas at 1.15. weird part is they load fine if the mags are down loaded a few rounds. If I fill em up they're nose diving in mag. Just had all feed lips tuned etc. 

2 minutes ago, Aforum55 said:

That's what I'll try next. I'm currently running the HP Deltas at 1.15. weird part is they load fine if the mags are down loaded a few rounds. If I fill em up they're nose diving in mag. Just had all feed lips tuned etc. 

Nose diving b/c the front of the round is not supported as well by the feed ramp would be my bet. Especially when the mag is completely topped up causing drag at the feed lips. I stay away from conicals in all my 1911/2011 patterns.

Good Luck

Edited by blackfatbob

36 minutes ago, igofast85 said:

Have you measured the magazine feedlips to confirm they are in spec?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, they were all just tuned. Grams springs and followers just put in. 

59 minutes ago, blackfatbob said:

Looking at the HP Precision Delta's, they appear to be conical.  So they likely have a narrower shoulder and are hitting the feed ramp further down the bullet.  Hold the two load up with the HP in front of the RN.  I bet you can see the RN from behind the HP.  If you can tolerate a longer OAL, that might help.

Or.....

Mags with or without spacer plate?? In mags I have spacers PD HP’s run fine with Grams followers but stock followers won’t run unless downloaded 1 due to being too tight..  All I run is grams in my STI mags now that have spacer

All is good now. Switched back to RN and she's running fine! Guess it didn't like the bullet profile 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:29 AM, igofast85 said:

Have you measured the magazine feedlips to confirm they are in spec?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, they were all just tuned. Grams springs and followers just put in. 

On 8/13/2019 at 8:06 AM, blackfatbob said:

Or.....

Are you running spaces in the mags?   I have two guns that don’t need spacers but one that will not feed the top couple of rounds if spacers are not installed.  Now all mags have spacers and all guns feed 100% ola 1.16 with Delta Precision 124 JHP