Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

15-22 stock help

BoMc

I'm trying to get some info for a friend and his young daughter that I shoot with. The daughter is 11 years old and needs a better stock for her 15-22 rifle. So if you have any suggestions on the best stock for the 15-22 for a young shooter they need some help. That rifles factory stock is holding her back IMHO. She's good but inconsistent check weld is not helping her. Hopefully will move to a 10-22 next year, but for now this is what they have.

44 minutes ago, kmca said:

Is the problem, the stock is too low?  If it is, you might look into a riser, something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172585947492

I think that's a big part of it and that item would be easy to try for very little money. The father is willing to replace the stock if there's a preferred or better option than the factory for a young shooter.

32 minutes ago, DesertTortoise said:

Try and Build up the stock cheek rest with foam and tape first.

I think You'll actually have a much easier time fitting a 15/22 to a youth shooter than the 10/22 due to the easy length of pull adjustments 

Yes that's why she started with the 15-22 last year and the fact it's muddy girl camo pink! 😀 last year she had the stock about half way out and this year it's all the way or one notch from the back. I passed the foam and tape suggestion on to my buddy I hope he gives it a try before he buys something!

Yes that's why she started with the 15-22 last year and the fact it's muddy girl camo pink! [emoji3] last year she had the stock about half way out and this year it's all the way or one notch from the back. I passed the foam and tape suggestion on to my buddy I hope he gives it a try before he buys something!
That will at least let him know what height riser to buy if it comes to that.

What's nice is the 15/22 has a stubby charging handle so you won't have the normal clearance issues as with the full size AR

59 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

I use a Magpull ACS stock on all my 15-22 because of the wide cheek area afforded by the storage stock. The ACS-L has less room for a cheek weld so I stick with the standard ACS.

I sent my buddy a link with a photo of a the "Magpull ACS stock". I have seen other shooters use these or something very similar but didn't know who made them. I wonder what the weight difference is between the ACS and CAR ?

I weighed a few for you..
Stock CAR stock 7.11 oz

ACS with a cheek-eez pad 15 oz

STR stock 12.7 oz.

The Magpull STR will give the same cheek weld area and is a little shorter and since it's a little lighter, probably the best way for you to go.

The weight isn't very noticeable since it's so far back.

My 15-22 with Volquartsen barrel, STR stock, Tighten magwell and no optic is 4.1 lb

Edited by Gregg K

OK since you reached out to me personally here is what I did. I actually did this on both my 15-22 and on the 2 Blackhawk Axioms stocks I sometimes use on my 10/22. I swapped out all stock pieces with the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock piece. Could easily have been another Magpul stock but I like to figure out what the correct LOP is then lock it down. the Fixed Carbine stock has a crossbolt you have to drill out or notch out a section of the polymer "fake buffer tube" then insert the bolt and nut.  OK but the main reason I went with the Magpul is they have interchangeable snap in cheek risers from as low as 1/4" to as high as 3/4". I found with the C-More 3/4" was correct and for Irons 1/4" was correct. If you like an adjustable stock and you don't like the way the stock piece wobbles on the 15-22 sometimes or the way I fixed it the next best thing is a Safariland/Rogers Supper Stock. In addition to the adjustment lever it has a lockdown lever that you can adjust the slop out and get the adjustable stock as rigid as a fixed stock. 

Personally I prefer my speed rifles to be back heavy and front light so I can leverage the transitions faster. My 15-22 and main 10/22 currently have VQ carbon fiber sleeved barrels on them, my 3-gun AR sports an American Barrel Systems carbon fiber wrapped barrel and both my PCC uppers (1 for SCSA and one for USPSA) have Taccom alloy shrouded or sleeved barrels on them.

If she is going to go to a 10/22 soon then if she is small the absolute best stock for a junior shooter is the Blackhawk Axiom. Its a combo of a 10/22 front stock and an AR rear stock so you can use a Magpul stock on the back although I am pretty sure it needs the commercial tube and not the mil-spec tube. Big thing is it has a really short trigger LOP, perfect for young shooters.  Same stock Mackenzie Bragg used to set a world record in Steel Challenge RFRO. Same one Ron Oliver's 7 year old daughter Venice used to shoot the Rimfire World Championship with.

13 hours ago, Gregg K said:

I weighed a few for you..
Stock CAR stock 7.11 oz

ACS with a cheek-eez pad 15 oz

STR stock 12.7 oz.

The Magpull STR will give the same cheek weld area and is a little shorter and since it's a little lighter, probably the best way for you to go.

The weight isn't very noticeable since it's so far back.

My 15-22 with Volquartsen barrel, STR stock, Tighten magwell and no optic is 4.1 lb

Great info and just what the dad needs to make some informed decisions! Thanks!

12 hours ago, photoracer said:

OK since you reached out to me personally here is what I did. I actually did this on both my 15-22 and on the 2 Blackhawk Axioms stocks I sometimes use on my 10/22. I swapped out all stock pieces with the Magpul Fixed Carbine stock piece. Could easily have been another Magpul stock but I like to figure out what the correct LOP is then lock it down. the Fixed Carbine stock has a crossbolt you have to drill out or notch out a section of the polymer "fake buffer tube" then insert the bolt and nut.  OK but the main reason I went with the Magpul is they have interchangeable snap in cheek risers from as low as 1/4" to as high as 3/4". I found with the C-More 3/4" was correct and for Irons 1/4" was correct. If you like an adjustable stock and you don't like the way the stock piece wobbles on the 15-22 sometimes or the way I fixed it the next best thing is a Safariland/Rogers Supper Stock. In addition to the adjustment lever it has a lockdown lever that you can adjust the slop out and get the adjustable stock as rigid as a fixed stock. 

Personally I prefer my speed rifles to be back heavy and front light so I can leverage the transitions faster. My 15-22 and main 10/22 currently have VQ carbon fiber sleeved barrels on them, my 3-gun AR sports an American Barrel Systems carbon fiber wrapped barrel and both my PCC uppers (1 for SCSA and one for USPSA) have Taccom alloy shrouded or sleeved barrels on them.

If she is going to go to a 10/22 soon then if she is small the absolute best stock for a junior shooter is the Blackhawk Axiom. Its a combo of a 10/22 front stock and an AR rear stock so you can use a Magpul stock on the back although I am pretty sure it needs the commercial tube and not the mil-spec tube. Big thing is it has a really short trigger LOP, perfect for young shooters.  Same stock Mackenzie Bragg used to set a world record in Steel Challenge RFRO. Same one Ron Oliver's 7 year old daughter Venice used to shoot the Rimfire World Championship with.

photoracer, I was hoping to hear from you, always like hearing what you did and why you did it. Thanks for the input! Something I should clear up about my opening post concerning the 15-22. I wrote " Hopefully will move to a 10-22 next year" I have let her shoot my 10-22 and her dad has one of my older heavy barreled target 10-22's she uses for accuracy type events. She seems to point them better because the stocks seem to force her to a spot she locks into in a more heads up posture and the triggers are much better (KIDD). Her 15-22 is rock solid, I've only replaced the extractor that broke and clean it for them. That rifle will run anything you feed it and it's accurate. Getting a pound + ? off the rifle would help a bunch and finding a stock that fits her is #1. Thanks to all for the info! 

Check out the 10/22 Takedown Lite...4.5 lbs ... very light barrel, accurate and reliable. It has interchangeable comb, I use the higher one with a 

C-More Railway 12moa dot. BXtrigger breaks clean around 2.5lbs for 50 bucks (eventually a Kidd) , an Allchin comp and your ready to roll . It's

got me almost to M (84%) and I love beating those thousand dollar rifles. 

edyan 

A646

4 hours ago, edyan said:

I love beating those thousand dollar rifles. 

😂 That's a nice rifle. I've never pulled the trigger on a 10-22 takedown. I like the idea of interchangeable comb.

Edited by BoMc