Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeder for rifle bullets

Just kind of spit-balling an idea here... how well do the various bullet feeders work with the longer, pointy rifle bullets like a ELD-Ms, VLDs, etc.?  From some of the pics on MrBulletFeeder.com it looks like *someone* is using that sort of setup... but I hardly ever see/hear about them?

Thanks!

I have only used flat bass bullets at this time on a progressive press. Same flare as with pistol cases, just not as much crimp on the rifle rounds. I run it on a 1050, so I have a seating die and crimp die. I believe you can get buy with a seating/crimp die in one station if you are not looking for match ammo. It’s just easier for me to use two stations. 

Edited by rmckinle
Update

On 8/12/2019 at 7:55 PM, rmckinle said:

I have only used flat bass bullets at this time on a progressive press. Same flare as with pistol cases, just not as much crimp on the rifle rounds. I run it on a 1050, so I have a seating die and crimp die. I believe you can get buy with a seating/crimp die in one station if you are not looking for match ammo. It’s just easier for me to use two stations. 

Simply removing the flare without actually adding a crimp is adequate (and often ideal for accuracy) if neck tension is good, so you're right that you can get away with seating and crimping in one station for match rifle bullets, if you need to. 

Since most match rifle bullets are boat tailed (took me a minute to figure out what TMK was flat base - I think that 125gr .308 is the only one?) you don't need to flare the case at all, as long as the case mouth is chamfered after trimming. If hand seating the bullets, you don't even need to flare for flat base bullets. 

Edited by Yondering

I only usually load around 100 or so 308 rounds at a time on my XL650, so I don't use my mrbullet feeder.  I just load them by hand.  I don't flare my cases.  I also use Hornaday 150gr SST bullets that are boat tailed.

I can't believe it's been 3 years from taking this video but I hope it helps understanding why I flare the case mouth. It must be done so the bullet stays in the case when transferring stations. Also to answer your question as to how to bullet stands up. It's because the bullet plate is two to three times thicker than a pistol plate. I will upload a picture of it later today.

Photo showing difference between 9mm and 308 bullet plates.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UJqHHWtrfLOTsi9x2oy02tri_dg1l1PB/view?usp=sharing

Photo showing difference between 9mm and 308 with extension plate for longer bullets.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-d6vrNau_dlNy4IeIpaDDMccAz4sU2OH/view?usp=sharing