Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Isn't the FN 509 More Popular?

I rarely see threads about the FN 509.  Why is that?  

I know that FN has a poor history of supporting competitive shooters, their magazines are over-priced, their triggers are only a bit better than Glock's, and aftermarket parts and holsters are scarce.  But it does seem like a 509 Tactical could be competitive in Carry Optics.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother has one I shoot and load for. I like the grip/feel and it's very accurate for a poly duty gun.  But, the trigger is terrible.  The hinged safety contributes to this and the skeletonized  Stryker riding on the spring gives a gritty feel to the pre travel.  It's also heavy.  I fixed it up quite a bit by polishing parts and trimming springs.  Not bad now but not great either.  Apex has a kit but it requires removal of the front block which is a PIA.  

I have an FNS, and the trigger pull started out pretty rough, but it settled in nicely with just a few range sessions. I really like this gun. My problem with FN is a nagging feeling that FN itself is not trustworthy, and even though I don't have any firsthand issues with them, I still can't shake the mistrust. FNs history of discontinuing parts and support for non-current models is troubling to me. Instead of a 509 Tactical, I'm waiting for the M&P 2.0 COREs to come out. I almost gave CZ a try, but I don't dig the grip angle.

• 3 weeks later...

The ergo's are quite good.  The overall package that is offered is quite good, ie nice grip angle decent texture, excellent serrations fore and aft.

The problem lies in the trigger.  Its garbage, like, pure garbage.  Its just plain bad.

After a bazillion rounds (rentals) the triggers tend to clean up a bit but they're still heavy.

Couple this with almost no aftermarket support (as you mentioned) and we are left with a platform that is hard to set up for gun games.  To the best of my knowledge no one even makes a recoil rod so that we can tune the recoil impulse to our ammo.  THAT right there is a MAJOR reason for me why im hesitant to put down money on one.