Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I clean my TSO?

Should I clean my TSO?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. I haven't cleaned my TSO since last year, should I clean it?

• YES!!!
    • Nah, maybe later.
    • I shoot a 2011 and had 14 stoppages today.

I haven't cleaned my TSO since last year, I just put a little oil on it and keep going. I've shot three matches every month and approximately 1k rounds per month in practice. Major matches in there too. I finished a state match this weekend, every 2011 on my squad malfunctioned in some way. I saw magazines getting scrubbed out between stages. I almost feel guilty...almost.

Sooner or later it will catch up to you.  I have a TSO and and original IPSC Standard.  I have also had multiple TS's......  When I let my TS get really dirty and neglected it, started to get jams because there was so much junk in the extractor channel.  

Not sure about wear and tear.

Crud tends to fill clearance in a couple spots between slide and frame, similar to around extractor as mentioned above. I do not know if the slide is riding on the crud at some point and possibly points of slide to frame contact, and potentially slide to barrel relationship,  are changed.

2 hours ago, adamge said:

It will feel much nicer when you rack it after a cleaning. That alone makes it worth while.

No it won't. The chrono RO pulled the trigger and smiled impressed yesterday. 

9/10 of the crap I read on the internet is completely made up.

Despite 858's verdict, I too can certainly feel the difference when I rack the slide between my dirty and clean TS.  Every 1 or 2 matches, I clean my barrel and and everything else I can clean without a full disassemble.  It keeps everything consistent and it doesn't bother me to do it.  I now pay special attention to the trigger group and spray it out  every third cleaning or so.  That gunk really changes the feel of the trigger pull. 

The bottom line is, clean your gun.  It's a race gun; baby it even if you can get away with neglect.  At some point your neglect will bite you, and most likely at a match that you traveled to.  

You definitely do not have to clean a gun after every match or range session, but does it hurt? No. Does having a really dirty gun hurt? Possibly. If the condition of the firearm causes you failures to feed or any other issues, then it is a problem. Going a whole year is a bit excessive. Impressive in a way depending on how much shooting you do, but not a gun I would want to take to the line or the way I maintain a gun that I use for defense. 

I went 8k rounds prior to cleaning my TSO last time. You guys crack me up. If we went by all of the negative crap on the internet my sights, firing pin, barrel, and slide lock would all be broken. 

29 minutes ago, George16 said:

So don’t clean it then. End of discussion 😝 

I was hoping for something more than an emotional response. Give me the steak, hold the sizzle.

It appears the mechanical reliability of most 2011s is less than one magazine while the TS is somewhere beyond 10k rounds with decent ammo. 

I was hoping for something more than an emotional response. Give me the steak, hold the sizzle.

It appears the mechanical reliability of most 2011s is less than one magazine while the TS is somewhere beyond 10k rounds with decent ammo. 
You push your luck and mock those who take a proactive approach to maintenance, and you cant feel the difference between a filthy gun and a clean one. Yet you expect someone to attempt a serious discussion with you when you interact like a troll?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, 858 said:

This would explain the domination of the TSO at major matches. Wait....what...

2 hours ago, 858 said:

You won’t get any emotional response with the type of responses your giving to the suggestions everyone is trying to tell you. Besides, what’s the point of your poll if you already have your mind made up of not cleaning your gun?

1 hour ago, obsessiveshooter said:

You push your luck and mock those who take a proactive approach to maintenance, and you cant feel the difference between a filthy gun and a clean one. Yet you expect someone to attempt a serious discussion with you when you interact like a troll?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nope, it's fun watching the cleaning dogma come out. You conflate cleaning with maintenance though. If you just said you prefer a clean pistol there wouldn't be much to say but the story about feeling differences invites debate. I have several CZs sitting on my bench in various states of cleanliness so its not like I can't plainly check for myself. Frankly I think most of you don't know and just repeat what you've always heard or done. The gun only needs four or five drops of lubricant in various places so short of mud doesn't get filthy as you implied. Perhaps if you load bare lead with Titegroup but I've already specified that's not what I'm doing.

Eventually this pistol will be relegated to practice only because it will begin to wear out, the wear will not be from lack of cleaning. Contrary to what you think, scheduled maintenance is performed and parts are changed as necessary. Thus far only springs have needed changing. 

2 hours ago, Balakay said:

This would explain the domination of the TSO at major matches. Wait....what...

You already know this is a logical fallacy, are you trying to lob in a slow ball so I can crush it into the parking lot? 2011s dominate IPSC in Europe...wait...what...

Can't argue about what happens at the local level in Slovakia or Belarus because 

a. don't care

b. 'Murica

but my wiki skills have found that of the last 24 medals awarded at the IPSC world shoot in the standard division, 20 of them have been won by, wait for it.......Americans.  Now I know that not all of said citizens are using 2011s but I would hazard a guess that probably not too many filthy TSOs were on the podium while the star-spangled banner was playing.

Now enough trolling...

I really like CZ. I carry one (PCR) so a serious question for you: given the ready adoption of CZs in the production division and and the relative low cost of the TSO for Limited, why the negligible usage in USPSA?

every match
+ rem oil wipe down everything + swap barrel
+ clean feedramp and around extractor.
+ lube the  lugs and rails.
+ clean out the mags and followers.
+ soak action / sear cage area.

every 5 matches
+replace fiber
+remove and clean firing pin, spring, and channel... and pencil test