Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm plated or coated projectilles

Demus319

Plated are great. Dont get the leading you get with coated. I view plated as a huge step up from coated for minimal cost. CMJs are great at a much higher price point. Plated are also less finicky to load compared to coated.

It will vary depending on the bullet construction. I shoot plenty of coated from 15k psi to 40k psi without issue.  I've had plated bullets perform poorly at many pressure/velocity combos.  You really need to try both in your gun under those specific conditions.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't have any issues with leading and coated bullets.  Haven't cleaned my CZ in probably 5k rounds, don't ever clean my revolver barrels, and only pull the cylinders to clean before a major match.  All shot with coated bullets.  If the bullets are well made, sizing is the critical variable. 

I've used plated, coated and traditionally lubed cast lead bullets. I prefer coated bullets. The plastic coating is easier to clean from the barrel than copper, the stinky shotgun cleaner wipes it out fast.

I've shot Extreme and Berry's plated bullets. They were fine in 45, but I found the 38 caliber Berry's to be a little undersized.

I shoot the 158 grain round nose from S&S Casting in my 38 because I prefer a roll crimp. Everything else gets fed Bayou bullets. Sized correctly, coated bullets are economical, clean and accurate. They are a little faster so you need less powder, and they have always been available. I gave up on plated bullets when they became unavailable during the Obama years, I've never seen a reason to go back.

I've used plated in my Revolvers and found the following:

1) Plated cost more than Coated, very close to Jacketed

2) Plated takes almost as much powder as Jacketed and quite a bit more than Coated

3) Plated are not more accurate than either Jacketed or Coated

4) Over crimping Plated can lead to separation of plating

So for effeciency and cost effectiveness I use Coated.

If I wanted the last "nth" of accuracy I'd go with Jacketed.

Plated kind of just seems the odd man out.

If you go with coated get a premium and reputable manufacturer, Bayou, ACME, BBI come to mind.

In iron sighted pistols I used coated lead.  They are accurate and usually give better accuracy than plated.  I can get .357-358 bullets to give me what I want for accuracy  This is very true in 9mm.

In open guns with comps I spend the money for jacketed.  Plated is false economy and for the price you can spend a couple more bucks and get great performance and most importantly for me, accuracy.  Plated looks like jacketed, almost costs like jacketed, but they ain’t jacketed.....

DougC

23 hours ago, DougCarden said:

In iron sighted pistols I used coated lead.  They are accurate and usually give better accuracy than plated.  I can get .357-358 bullets to give me what I want for accuracy  This is very true in 9mm.

In open guns with comps I spend the money for jacketed.  Plated is false economy and for the price you can spend a couple more bucks and get great performance and most importantly for me, accuracy.  Plated looks like jacketed, almost costs like jacketed, but they ain’t jacketed.....

DougC

And remember FMJ's have an exposed base and will give you a bit of smoke, the best are a JHP or a CMJ if you go that route.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:07 PM, Demus319 said:

Has anyone used Xtreme plated 9mm?

I use a lot of the 147 Xtreme plated bullets.  I've been happy with them, but I've not shot coated so I can't make a direct comparison.  

I find they occasionally keyhole when fired out of a G26, but that should be due to factors other than the bullet.   I'm fiddling with a longer OAL, and a lighter crimp, which seem to be helping.  I'd like to try them in .357 (which should also help, with some guns), but the 9's are only available in .356.

coated all the way, they are available in more sizes and shapes and weights so you can find one that works for your needs. I have had no leading issues with any of the coated bullets I have used, and I go thousands of rounds between cleanings.