Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended recoil spring weight for Akai Stroked 2011 Limited Major PFMajor

KindredGhost

Greetings Gang,

I just picked up a super low round count (according to the previous owner) stroked Akai 2011.  It looks damn clean.  That said:

1.  What is the recommended recoil spring weight and manufacturer for shooting 180gr projectiles making 170 power factor

2.  How many coils should I cut to fit the stroked slide

3.  Is is possible to use the Dawson Precision Tool-Less Guide Rod on a stroked gun

TIA,

KG

Untitled.jpg

Greetings Gang,
I just picked up a super low round count (according to the previous owner) stroked Akai 2011.  It looks damn clean.  That said:

1.  What is the recommended recoil spring weight and manufacturer for shooting 180gr projectiles making 170 power factor
3.  Is is possible to use the Dawson Precision Tool-Less Guide Rod on a stroked gun

TIA,
KG
Untitled.thumb.jpg.f17db2e7fba708275532d25667da444d.jpg
I run a 10 pound spring in mine but my slide was significantly lightened to get to 10ish ounce. It hits the hands a little harder with the 180 projectiles but the sights are back on target fast

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

11-12 lbs lbs

3 coils cut off and check that the spring does not bind.

Put spring on and with top end off. Push guide rod all the way to the dust cover with your thumb and make sure there is a little bit of space 

between the coils.

1 hour ago, jcc7x7 said:

11-12 lbs lbs

3 coils cut off and check that the spring does not bind.

Put spring on and with top end off. Push guide rod all the way to the dust cover with your thumb and make sure there is a little bit of space 

between the coils.

Did you use a government size spring?

Kg

5 hours ago, KindredGhost said:

Greetings Gang,

TIA,

KG

Untitled.jpg

Send Shay a message and ask him these questions, he will be happy to answer you.  Then follow HIS suggestions.  Good Luck 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

Just curious if the akai is tungsten sleeved and which gun you thinks shoots softer out of those 2? 

Hey Dan,
So my now backup 2011 (formerly only) has had a pt evo grip on it now for the last 2.5 years.  I shot it with the sh*tty sti plastic grip on it previously the first 6 months I had it, but I'll be honest with you.  I sucked shooting it.  Like bad.  Real bad.  I honestly probably couldn't shoot it worth a damn because I was a new shooter at the time (for uspsa limited).

So I got a tactical sport and shot it much better (bear with me, I'm getting to my point).  After shooting that for the a year I revisited my 2011 and decided to put a metal grip on it.  I shot it much better, but even then I"m still currently a C class shooter. I decided to pick up that Akai 2011 as the price was right and couldn't buy one new seeing that I live in Los Angeles.  

I don't feel that it's a fair comparison to compare the two in their current state.  The steel grip soaks up an AMAZING, EXORBITANT, UNBELIEVABLE amount of recoil.  Yes it's the same platform, but I guess it's like comparing beer.  Guiness vs. Heffenweisen. 

From what my first experiences with shooting each gun in it's original state, I want to say the akai is a bit softer.   But I don't want to mislead anyone.  I'm planning on sending it in to Shay within the year to install a pt evo grip on it.  

I hope this helps.

-kg

Edited by KindredGhost
addressed wrong person

40 minutes ago, domino329 said:

The Akai is not Tungsten sleeved, but is stroked and lightened. I feel the Atlas shoots a little softer and flatter. I think the buffer helps too in the atlas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shay does offer tungsten sleeved, lightened and stroked though!  I'm kind of surprised that this trend hasn't really taken off here in states.  In the Philippines, every gunsmith does it sans stroking.  Honestly, it is the flattest and softest shooting 2011 I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.  The yellow 2011 in the pic is made by Metrillo, and the top one is made by I want to say Edward Rivera.  I could be wrong. Probably am.  

When I move out of California, I'm absolutely going to have Shay build me a gun that I'll still probably still suck shooting with.  lol.  #DontJudgeMe #ItsMyDream #SpendingMoreMoneyMakesMeABetterShooter 

-kg

2011.jpg

I was going to get the tungsten sleeved Akai, but I did not want to wait. I called Atlas and they told me they would have the Nemesis in my hands in under 90 days, so I went that route.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

Why not send him an email? He’s very quick to respond 

I have pretty hardcore adhd... iirc I posted that on like a friday night...

But as long as I'm here, I do have to say that Lisette and Shay are super cool people to talk to.  They really took their time to speak to me about what was on my mind about my new to me lead slinger.  I'm really lucky to have been able to acquire one of his works.  It's awesome. 

kg