Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle suggestions

JPetrowski

Hello. I am looking for suggestions for a rifle and optic for rimfire optics. I would like it to be as light as possible and have an adjustable stock. It needs to be reliable as well. 

My son will also be using this for plinking and would be a starter gun when he is ready for Steel Challenge. This is why it must be light. He likes shooting my ar with a conversation kit but it’s a little heavy for him and doesn’t run 100%

The only lightweight barrel is the Volquarsen Carbon Tensioned barrel $300+. 

Taccom3G makes the cheapest Carbon Fiber handguard $95 + adapter barrel nut $25

Lightweight buttstock $60

So for $500 you can take off about 1.5 lbs.

S&W lists the weight at 4.8 lbs

Edited by Ming the Merciless

This might be a dumb question. But, if I were to go with a 10/22 would I actually buy the 10/22? I ask because if I bought a barrel, trigger kit and chassis there doesn’t seem like there would be much more to buy. Maybe just the bolt and receiver?

You mention reliability and want to make your own 10 22 based thing solely in the search of light weight over everything else? Let us know how it works if your not using one specific ammo and a mag that's jjusttt right.

Is reliability going to an issue rowdyb? I have no clue that’s why I’m here asking. Is the 15-22 going to be more reliable? Will it still be reliable with a lightweight barrel?

i know what it’s like to have one that’s difficult to keep running. I would say reliability is first concern then weight. Thanks

Edited by JPetrowski

If reliability is #1, then get the 15-22, a bunch of magazines, the McFaddin Lightnin' Grip mag loader and a set of JP springs for the trigger.  Make sure it runs reliably, the ejector may need some minor adjustment, use a dry lube like Hornady One Shot CLP or oil very lightly on just the bolt rails, before you make any modifications other than swapping the buttstock if necessary.

The 15-22 is hands down the best out of the box .22 rifle on the planet when considering reliability and lack of need for upgrades/changes.  I bought one for my daughter and it somehow turned into my competition rifle.  Many great accomplishments with it and still don’t think it’s holding me back.

if you would like to go a “build it” route, especially considering a child/adult shooter mix, take a look at the Blackhawk axiom stock. Extremely lightweight, adjustable stock, and budget friendly.  Some of our scholastic shooters are using them and they really are great. Many of the top shooters in the game use them as well.  I think it’s actually the lightest stock available besides the modshot. You can spend a lot with the rest.  Personally, I would go ruger receiver (reliability), Kidd bolt, tacsol barrel (lightweight), and KIDD or even ruger BX (cheaper) trigger.  Then look up how to tune the ruger rotary mags on YouTube and do about 10 of em.  

The 15-22 is easier, but heavier than the axiom.  The axiom build is low budget, VERY lightweight, and very very nice shooting, especially for a smaller shooter.  Good luck!

Edited by Hammer002

Looks like with the stock and barrel the 10/22 would still be over 3.5lbs before adding the receiver or anything else  

I’m just going to go with the 15-22 and add a lightweight barrel and handguard if it fatigues my son too much. We will see how he does with it. 

Just need to decide what optic for it. I am leaning towards a cmore right now. 

Don't bother with the handguard. The stock handguard is about as light as you are going to get. You have to buy a steel barrel nut adapter to be able to install an AR-15 handguard so by the time you spend a bunch of money for the new handguard and the heavy barrel nut adapter you will likely just add weight for your trouble. Just be sure to buy the model with the m-lok handguard and not the quad rail version. PSA has your best deals.

My 15-22 with Volquartsen barrel, STR stock, Tighten magwell and no optic is 4.1 lb. The stock is heavier than some but it has a great cheek weld and the weight is to the rear.

The 15-22 just plain runs. It's only short coming is sometimes the firing pin but I'm working with a manufacturer right now to release a redesign that cures those few with problems. I see the guys on the range all the time begging their $1000 10-22's to run and they just jam. I shoved my 10-22 to the back of the safe and have been loving the 15-22 ever since. 

Edited by Gregg K

1 hour ago, Ming the Merciless said:

There are already aftermarket firing pins for the 15-22.  I picked up both a steel and titanium one, but have not had a chance to test either one.

https://www.firingpins.com/m-p-15-22-titanium-firing-pin

https://www.firingpins.com/m-p-15-22-titanium-firing-pin

Those are good firing pins. The 15-22 uses an inertia type firing pin, you will not have as good a hit with the Ti pin as you will with the stainless. The original type firing pins in the early 15-22 were Ti but they were not inertia type.

Get a Ruger 10/22 and put a carbon fiber ultralight weight Volquartsen barrel on it along with a C-More railway sight- 8MOA dot. 

Install a Volquartsen firing pin,  extractor and spring also. Your choice of adjustable stock- there are many. You will have a tack driving steel challenge rifle that is light and very fast moving as well as reliable.

Check out the 10/22 Takedown Lite...4.5 lbs ... very light barrel, accurate and reliable. It has interchangeable comb, I use the higher one with a 

C-More Railway 12moa dot. BXtrigger breaks clean around 2.5lbs for 50 bucks (eventually a Kidd) , an Allchin comp and your ready to roll . It's

got me almost to M (84%) and I love beating those thousand dollar rifles. 

edyan 

A646

• 2 weeks later...

Went with the 15/22. I put the jp yellow spring kit in. Put about 500rds in it yesterday. It’s a blast to shoot and ran 100% reliable. 

Next question. How much weight will I save with the volquartsen lightweight barrel?

edited to add What optic do you guys prefer? Right now I’m running an eotech 512 that I had laying around.

Edited by JPetrowski

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:35 PM, edyan said:

Check out the 10/22 Takedown Lite...4.5 lbs ... very light barrel, accurate and reliable. It has interchangeable comb, I use the higher one with a 

C-More Railway 12moa dot. BXtrigger breaks clean around 2.5lbs for 50 bucks (eventually a Kidd) , an Allchin comp and your ready to roll . It's

got me almost to M (84%) and I love beating those thousand dollar rifles. 

edyan 

A646

+1 here. I'm A Class..(close to MA) in SCSA with a 10/22 Takedown Lite,  Ruger BX drop in trigger, and just about any 6 MOA reflex sight (I've used Burris FF3, SIG ROMEO1, RMR... there are no real G forces, so any sight can work). The BX 15 round mags are nice. Not a lot of extra weight, but you can shoot 2 strings, change, and keep going. There is no recoil, even with high speed stuff, so the only real point to the comp is to make enough noise for the timer to pick up when shooting 1070 loads. Mine doesn't have a comp. I just 'splain to the newer ROs (I am one, have been for awhile) where they need to hold the timer.

Another BIG PLUS to the Takedown Lite is the ease of cleaning. Lock the bolt back, pop the barrel off, everything is right there, and you can clean the barrel from the chamber end --- making sure that the chamber is clean. A + for feeding/extraction. And, I have never seen a POI change after re-installing the barrel.

Edited by GOF

2 hours ago, edyan said:

Do you find the 15 round magazines more reliable than the 25 round ones... I don't trust those.

Yes! My two have gone thousands of rounds and been totally reliable... even when left fully-loaded for a couple of weeks. As for 25-round magazines --- I don't trust any, even Ruger. I hang around a lot of shooters and have never heard a positive statement regarding ANYONE'S 25-round .22 LR mags.

• 1 month later...

I bought a T/C R22 and put a C-More Railway 6MOA sight on it.  I have since removed the rear peep sight and the front sight post and added a TandemKross Game Changer Pro Comp to the already threaded barrel.  It runs on standard 10/22 magazines.  I have had 0 malfunctions.  S&W make the T/C guns so it is quality made.  A lot of the upgrades folks do to a standard 10/22 S&W does on the R22 at the factory.  Something think about. 

R22.jpg