Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon SRO on M&P

Ragnar175

Anyone rocking an SRO on their M&P? If so, did you come from an RMR or something else? Any issues to report with the optic itself, so far? Also, is the dot as bright as the RMR? Thanks for any insight. Looking to trade up from an RMR to an SRO on my Carry Optics gun. 

not on my M&P (yet) but on my shadow 2. I compared the dot on the SRO to a buddy's RMR and they are both similarly bright. I have a 5MOA SRO so my dot got bigger  than 

the RMR dot and seemingly brighter , but I attest that to being a bigger dot.

I've got about 800 rounds through mine so far with zero issues. the adjustments haven't budged and the dot is crystal clear.

the only issue I do have with this thing is turning it off, there are so many modes on it that if i don't push the buttons just right it takes me a bit to turn it off LOL

and I always turn it off when not in use. Still using the battery it came with too (I carry batteries with me in my range bag, so if it starts to fade I could change it between stages

at a match if need be) I will probably be getting one for my performance center 9L as soon as they become readily available.

SRO 2.5 on my CORE, the front of the optic sits at the edge of the breech face, which I thought might be an issue but it does not affect the election at all. I've been using 6moa dots for over 4 years on various pistols, but o really like this 2.5. I was shooting it late morning into the sun (in Arizona) and it was clear as day. I'm really happy with this site. I can see using a 5moa for steel challenge, but I don't really think that it will matter for me.

I have my 2nd 5moa incoming that is going on my performance Center 9L. Most likely this will be my steel only gun, as I use a CZ shadow 2 for USPSA

and it's working out pretty well so far (I'm actually faster with my 9L but my double taps are better with the CZ)

Kurusty any issues mounting it on the Core? is it plate #1? and what screws did you use to mount it?

No issues, I don't remember what plate number, but it was the one for Trijicon. I also used the screws that come with the dot.

I'm actually faster with my CZ75 also, but it has the RM04 mounted on top of a dovetail adapter. 

got mine all zero'd in today, loving this optic on both my M&P and my CZ

G7wUZXi.jpg

not a smuch clearance as on my Shadow 2 but I shot about 150 rounds today and didn't have any issues.

IMHWC42.jpg

5yeM60Q.jpg

5 moa

m86R8B7.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, kmanick said:

got mine all zero'd in today, loving this optic on both my M&P and my CZ

G7wUZXi.jpg

not a smuch clearance as on my Shadow 2 but I shot about 150 rounds today and didn't have any issues.

IMHWC42.jpg

5yeM60Q.jpg

5 moa

m86R8B7.jpg

any issues with the brass hitting the optic?

Anyone broken one yet? 

Have seen multiple reports of SROs breaking on insta, and it was mentioned a few episodes back on the hit factor podcast. Seems like they are roughly as reliable as all the other dots when used by guys who train hard and burn through a lot of rounds. Which means a backup optic is a good idea.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, Benevolence said:

So far my abomination seems to be working quite well! I went with the 5MOA. (Direct mount to slide, 6-32 holes 0.740” apart)

BB56F4F4-99DE-4AFA-A00F-68212F332385.jpeg

Whoa, what's with the trigger guard and picatinny rail? Did you add some kind of putty for weight? Is that USPSA legal for CO? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Running an new SRO on my M&P Pro Series Core to shoot CO. Tried the RMR first but struggled a bit due to smaller window size. (Spoiled by Open frame mounted large window optic....)

However, I am getting FTE jams too often to be match ready (much less for any other purpose....) The front bottom edge of the optic is trapping spent brass between that surface and the very back of the slide.

I really like this optic but need to get these jams gone. It is close to the very back of the ejection port so I was hoping that someone had addressed this by building a Core mounting plate with a little flange in the front to fit below the bottom edge of the optic and fill that gap? Kinda like a shortened blast shield but an extension of the mounting plate.

Anyone know about this option or any similar fix? (I assume it would still be USPSA legal?)

Another option might be to have the slide customized to move the mount further back on the slide (giving up the dovetail for rear iron sight)? Not sure if the new plate mounting holes would interfere with interior slide parts tho......

Thanks!

Doh! Didn't think of that.  Have fiddled with this on ARs but never pistols. All parts mentioned stock with less than 1K fired.

How best to do this? Link to how-to details?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

After 3000 rounds on my CORE with plastic plate, one SRO screw broke inside the slide and the "foot" of the adapter plate sheared off and was lodged into its recess in the bottom of the SRO. Bummer!
Background: the SRO and its factory screws had been fired about 12,000 times in a previous gun and another 3,000 in the CORE, mounting without using Loctite in either. When starting a 400 round shooting session, the sight was firmly in place but needed zeroing. At the end of the session, the sight was loose (wiggly), and I noticed the broken screw when I tried to tighten it, without resistance. Gun is now at the gunsmith for a timeout.

As you may already know, this company is offering aluminum plates for the 2.0. https://chpws.com/product/sw-core-2-0-1-975  Personally I would prefer  steel but this is way better than plastic. I have no personal experience with these.

As to the issues you had,, I am not surprised.  While the M&Ps have so much going for it in design of ergos but...........Once yet again S&W chooses to be so near sighted and chooses to go to plastic plates to save a few dollars.  Any compression at all given the g-forces involved with no front or rear support from the slide wall puts all the shear stress on the bolts at the joint where they span between the  slide and rds filled by a compressible poly plate.