Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Target Stand for hard ground?

zhunter

Title says it all!  

Having moved from the sandy soil of Florida to the hard desert ground of Utah, I am in need of a different target base.

I would think that many of you have to deal with hard ground, so please point me in the correct direction.

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I've made a couple out of 2x4s, single legs with the center of the 'H' having 2 with a during strip for the spacer.

I've used them for years without any issues and they tend to not blow over either.

I probably use the same design.  Here's a video for you.  not my video, I just used the idea to build my stands.

Pretty much the same as mine except I don't put the strip across the entire center, I just have it right on the end. 

Was a poor college student when I made them and this way saves me about 45 cents in lumber lol

One thing to consider if you’re building stands and have steel targets is incorporating a spot you can mount a 2x4 as well, and making the legs long enough to handle the increased weight. Mine are similar to the design above, but the center of the H is wide enough to hold a 2x4. 

We use a similar stand with the addition of a 4x4 on 1 end that’s drilled for a stake and we use 10” long nails that we get from Home Depot 

also unless you’re Superman, get a pick and use it like a claw hammer to pull the stakes

Steel at our range. H-shaped feet out of L-profile steel, square tube uprights that accept 1" target sticks or smaller, one brace between the uprights (maybe). holes in the feet so that you can anchor them to the ground with tent stakes or big screws, for contests or very windy days.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:10 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

Pretty much the same as mine except I don't put the strip across the entire center, I just have it right on the end. 

Was a poor college student when I made them and this way saves me about 45 cents in lumber lol

I too just put the strips only at the end.