Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weak shouldered rifle and shotgun

It is a good skill to have. Enough that you are confident doing it. I'm on the IPSC side of things, and IPSC Rifle Rules don't allow making it mandatory. However, stage designers sometimes make you shoot around corners where strong side is extremely awkward.

Also learn to do the switch from one side to the other without fumbling too much ;)

7 hours ago, perttime said:

It is a good skill to have. Enough that you are confident doing it. I'm on the IPSC side of things, and IPSC Rifle Rules don't allow making it mandatory. However, stage designers sometimes make you shoot around corners where strong side is extremely awkward.

Also learn to do the switch from one side to the other without fumbling too much ;)

Im on ipsc too most if not all the time. Yes shooting awkward behind barricade strongside can be mitigated very much w/ it. Also agree on smooth and safe transfer while moving to position. Careful not to get into trigger early. 

I don't shoot IPSC but I've seen mandatory weakside rifle and pistol stages a handful of times. I've also shot weakside by choice a few times when its one of those poke your gun around the wall and shoot contact distance paper type shots. But these days it's usually just as easy/fast to shoot those while falling out of the shooting area then hopping back in and moving on, although I can imagine thats not allowed in IPSC.

6 hours ago, BoyGlock said:

IPSC rules 2019 for SG allows mandatory weak shouldering in classifiers and short cofs. Dont know if same in rifles. 

IPSC Rifle Rules have:

1.1.5.3 General Courses and Classifiers may not specify that the weak shoulder is to be used when
shooting.

http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesRifle.pdf

For Shotgun, it says:

1.1.5.3 Short Courses and Classifiers may specify that only the weak shoulder is to be used when shooting.

http://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesShotgun.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 5:30 PM, kellyn said:

Bennie Cooley taught me that I don't have weak shoulder

I had the fortune of shooting with Bennie not long after I started the game, back at the 2011ish TX Multigun.  He used support side to a great advantage on one stage, and since then I work on it every time I go out to practice.

(with long guns anyway.  I still stuck at weak hand only with handguns because I think it's stupid.)