Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
GregInAtl

550b primer slide sticking

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I think I'm having this same issue with the XL750. It's my understanding they share the same or similar primer slide parts. I attached a picture of what mine does.  Will the suggestions above be the same for the 750? I have less than 100 rounds loaded on it 

PicsArt_08-26-08.30.53.jpg

Somehow the rod look oddly off....it should be contained in the white roller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I think I'm having this same issue with the XL750. It's my understanding they share the same or similar primer slide parts. I attached a picture of what mine does.  Will the suggestions above be the same for the 750? I have less than 100 rounds loaded on it 

PicsArt_08-26-08.30.53.jpg

somehow the rod looks oddly off, it should be sitting in the white plastic roller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

somehow the rod looks oddly off, it should be sitting in the white plastic roller

 

That's because the ram is down at rest. If it were raised up, both rollers would/should be contacting the rod.

The 550 does the same thing if the primer slide sticks in the "out" position and you lower the ram. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Yondering said:

 

That's because the ram is down at rest. If it were raised up, both rollers would/should be contacting the rod.

The 550 does the same thing if the primer slide sticks in the "out" position and you lower the ram. 

Not sure if I understand you, but on my 550 the rod is in the roller with the ram down, like in the attached picture.

IMG_5049.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Not sure if I understand you, but on my 550 the rod is in the roller with the ram down, like in the attached picture.

 

 

yes, because your primer slide is in the correct position. Look at his picture above, the slide is stuck out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what happens is the rod slides out of position and this roller gets caught on the edge 

PicsArt_08-26-06.02.00.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RudyVey has the bearing plate attachment. That thing fixed all of my primer bar sticking problems. The roller bearing keeps the bar straight, and the metal slide plate underneath keeps the bar from flexing. Worth the investment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure the screws weren’t over tightened and puckered the aluminum out? Because on my 550’s if you over tighten the two screws it will stick the primer bar all the way out. If so take it apart and use a file to remove the bulges and then reassemble but don’t over tighten the screws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve used a 550 for about twenty years with no issues, I clean it about every three or four months and put a film of Brownells action lube plus on it. Has worked very good for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a small piece of tubing To keep the white wheel against the snap ring and away from primer housing and plate I have seen others use a small spring or as Sarge said bend/tweak the rod or adjust the housing to pressure the wheel to the right. 

I also use the JW bearing plate, even put a sharpie dot on the bearing so I can see it spin while I cycle the press ( no particular reason but it does indicate it is moving with the primer slide) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Amerflyer48 said:

I used a small piece of tubing To keep the white wheel against the snap ring and away from primer housing and plate I have seen others use a small spring or as Sarge said bend/tweak the rod or adjust the housing to pressure the wheel to the right. 

I also use the JW bearing plate, even put a sharpie dot on the bearing so I can see it spin while I cycle the press ( no particular reason but it does indicate it is moving with the primer slide) 

Same here, put a sharpie dot on the bearing, it really does spin....without the dot, I sometimes thought it does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody use aerosol graphite on the primer bearing plate as opposed to the powder. I use the powder graphite but it seems to make a mess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

Does anybody use aerosol graphite on the primer bearing plate as opposed to the powder. I use the powder graphite but it seems to make a mess 

Yes, I have used it for a long time and it works well for me. It's easy to apply (just be sure to let it dry before use) and easy to remove when cleaning the primer system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I use DuPont Teflon lube in an aerosol can.  

‘I wipe the excess off with a paper towel after the carrier evaporates.  

Edited by Currently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Currently said:

I use DuPont Teflon lube in an aerosol can.  

‘I wipe the excess off with a paper towel after the carrier evaporates.  

 

Does that help keep the primer slide from sticking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...