Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b primer slide sticking

6 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I think I'm having this same issue with the XL750. It's my understanding they share the same or similar primer slide parts. I attached a picture of what mine does.  Will the suggestions above be the same for the 750? I have less than 100 rounds loaded on it 

PicsArt_08-26-08.30.53.jpg

Somehow the rod look oddly off....it should be contained in the white roller

6 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I think I'm having this same issue with the XL750. It's my understanding they share the same or similar primer slide parts. I attached a picture of what mine does.  Will the suggestions above be the same for the 750? I have less than 100 rounds loaded on it 

PicsArt_08-26-08.30.53.jpg

somehow the rod looks oddly off, it should be sitting in the white plastic roller

51 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

somehow the rod looks oddly off, it should be sitting in the white plastic roller

That's because the ram is down at rest. If it were raised up, both rollers would/should be contacting the rod.

The 550 does the same thing if the primer slide sticks in the "out" position and you lower the ram. 

8 minutes ago, Yondering said:

That's because the ram is down at rest. If it were raised up, both rollers would/should be contacting the rod.

The 550 does the same thing if the primer slide sticks in the "out" position and you lower the ram. 

Not sure if I understand you, but on my 550 the rod is in the roller with the ram down, like in the attached picture.

IMG_5049.JPG

6 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

Not sure if I understand you, but on my 550 the rod is in the roller with the ram down, like in the attached picture.

yes, because your primer slide is in the correct position. Look at his picture above, the slide is stuck out. 

RudyVey has the bearing plate attachment. That thing fixed all of my primer bar sticking problems. The roller bearing keeps the bar straight, and the metal slide plate underneath keeps the bar from flexing. Worth the investment. 

Are you sure the screws weren’t over tightened and puckered the aluminum out? Because on my 550’s if you over tighten the two screws it will stick the primer bar all the way out. If so take it apart and use a file to remove the bulges and then reassemble but don’t over tighten the screws.

I used a small piece of tubing To keep the white wheel against the snap ring and away from primer housing and plate I have seen others use a small spring or as Sarge said bend/tweak the rod or adjust the housing to pressure the wheel to the right. 

I also use the JW bearing plate, even put a sharpie dot on the bearing so I can see it spin while I cycle the press ( no particular reason but it does indicate it is moving with the primer slide) 

45 minutes ago, Amerflyer48 said:

I used a small piece of tubing To keep the white wheel against the snap ring and away from primer housing and plate I have seen others use a small spring or as Sarge said bend/tweak the rod or adjust the housing to pressure the wheel to the right. 

I also use the JW bearing plate, even put a sharpie dot on the bearing so I can see it spin while I cycle the press ( no particular reason but it does indicate it is moving with the primer slide) 

Same here, put a sharpie dot on the bearing, it really does spin....without the dot, I sometimes thought it does not.

9 hours ago, GregInAtl said:

Does anybody use aerosol graphite on the primer bearing plate as opposed to the powder. I use the powder graphite but it seems to make a mess 

Yes, I have used it for a long time and it works well for me. It's easy to apply (just be sure to let it dry before use) and easy to remove when cleaning the primer system. 

• 6 months later...
I received the new part referred to above by 12GLOCKS,  JW Systems Primer Slide Bearing Track Plate. It remedys the problem of the bar sticking but I still have problems getting the primers to drop into the cup. I figure I need to bend the operating rod a bit as mentioned by SARGE. Any ideas on where and how much to bend it? A video would be great. I don't want to booger up the rod and have to call Dillon and then wait for another one.

Have you call Dillion customer service?

First, take the primer assembly apart. Clean everything with alcohol, especially the bottom of the primer slide. Now put it back together after putting a light coat of gun grease on the threads of the 2 bolts that hold the assembly in place. Finger tighten only. Now with the ram in the resting position and the primer seating stem properly centered in the shell plate, tighten the 2 bolts with an Allen wrench. Just a little! Like one quarter or less past finger tight. These bolts will strip out the primer tube threads and cause no end of problems if they are overtightened. I know from experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem and use to safety wire the rod to my primer tube. After awhile it would always run loose and I,d have to readjust about ever 200 cranks. Now I use half inch diameter rubber bands and it keeps it in place perfectly. Front most band is spare in case of break.

20200402_025300T.jpg