Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550b primer slide sticking

I am having trouble with the primer slide sticking in the rearmost position and not pushing  forward and delivering a primer. This happens now with about 1 out of every 4 or 5 rounds.  In the past I've been able to correct this by sprinkling powdered graphite on the platform the primer track bearing and primer slide rest on. I've also tried polishing the primer slide, platform and primer track bearing with steel wool to no avail. When the primer slide sticks I just nudge it with my finger and it moved forward as it should. Maybe I just need a new spring or primer slide.

Any suggestions?

26 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Bend the rod

It is my understanding, and I could be wrong, that bending the rod is the recommended solution when the primer slide doesn't go back far enough to pick up a primer. This is a little different problem, the primer slide is actually sticking and not coming forward (unless I nudge it with my finger). As I mentioned in the OP, I've tried the usual recommendations like polishing with steel wool or liquid graphite. Those usually help but not this time.

It's probably time for a new bearing plate or primer slide. I have had the same issue. I too, polish it and use spray graphite, and it has always worked...but one day, I'm pretty sure, it will stop. You might try a stronger spring or maybe even a rubber band added to the existing spring, if you can find a way to connect it. 

Make sure you haven’t tightened the 2 Allen screws so tight that you dimpled the sides of the track. I know because I did it. Go on eBay and buy the piece that lengthens the shim. It adds more support to the pickup piece. Some even have a little bearing that rubs the side. Don’t know what you call it but you’ll get the idea.

Get the part above.  And check what Rooster said.  If the screws have been over tightened it can create issues.  I fought primer issues on the 550 for a long time.  Some new parts from Dillon and the part pictured above solved all of the issues.

Just ordered me one of them..........thanks everybody. This forum is awesome for getting quick solutions.

Hopefully, I'll have it in time to load up some more rounds in time for the competition shoot at our local range in 10 days.

11 hours ago, rooster said:

Make sure you haven’t tightened the 2 Allen screws so tight that you dimpled the sides of the track. I know because I did it. Go on eBay and buy the piece that lengthens the shim. It adds more support to the pickup piece. Some even have a little bearing that rubs the side. Don’t know what you call it but you’ll get the idea.

This. In fact, when I disassembled it for cleaning and inspection, it has a hairline crack on both screw holes. I called up Dillon and they send me a free replacement part along with some small and large primer pickup tips. Great customer service. Check also the primer cup. Make sure it’s not contacting the sides of the primer housing.

I have also installed that bearing thing-ama-jig and it works well.

Yup; overtightening those screws is a sure way to make the primer bar stick. The other cause is just powder and primer grit, cleaning fixes that.

Do you guys oil your primer bars, or run them dry? Obviously opinions will vary on that, and oiling has the potential to pick up more grit. I've done both ways over the years, and settled on keeping it wet enough with oil to wipe itself clear of debris. That seems to be more reliable in my machine. 

I received the new part referred to above by 12GLOCKS,  JW Systems Primer Slide Bearing Track Plate. It remedys the problem of the bar sticking but I still have problems getting the primers to drop into the cup. I figure I need to bend the operating rod a bit as mentioned by SARGE. Any ideas on where and how much to bend it? A video would be great. I don't want to booger up the rod and have to call Dillon and then wait for another one.

Edited by GregInAtl

Run the bar by hand all the way till it stops, did it pick up a primer? Do this a few times if it picks up a primer and when you run the rod if it goes to the same point then rod should be ok. If not bend rod, there is a Dillon video about it. I think you bend the top part to make it swing out more. Before you do all this change primer magazine tip. They get worn. 

I bought this part  JW Systems Primer Slide Bearing Track Plate. It works pretty well but you still have to make sure you don't tighten the screws too tight. There seems to be a fine line between too tight and not tight enough. Too tight and the primer slide sticks, even using the new part I bought. Too loose and the plate and slide start wobbling. Seems like in efforts to keep from tightening too tight, I am constantly having too tighten the screws some more. I wonder if some non permanent lock tight could be used.

14 minutes ago, GregInAtl said:

I bought this part  JW Systems Primer Slide Bearing Track Plate. It works pretty well but you still have to make sure you don't tighten the screws too tight. There seems to be a fine line between too tight and not tight enough. Too tight and the primer slide sticks, even using the new part I bought. Too loose and the plate and slide start wobbling. Seems like in efforts to keep from tightening too tight, I am constantly having too tighten the screws some more. I wonder if some non permanent lock tight could be used.

You should be able to tighten the screws fairly snug so they don't come loose, just don't go gorilla tight. If tightening the screws enough to not loosen causes the slide to stick, you've probably already bulged the tube base around the holes, and should address that so you can assemble it correctly. The other possible cause is just not having everything clean; flakes of powder stuck in the slide can cause sticking too.

I've never needed to use Loctite on my Dillon, but if you do, blue #243 is the way to go. It does the same job as blue #242, but is also tolerant of oil. Just a drop on each screw would be plenty.

On 8/22/2019 at 4:59 PM, Yondering said:

You should be able to tighten the screws fairly snug so they don't come loose, just don't go gorilla tight. If tightening the screws enough to not loosen causes the slide to stick, you've probably already bulged the tube base around the holes, and should address that so you can assemble it correctly. The other possible cause is just not having everything clean; flakes of powder stuck in the slide can cause sticking too.

I've never needed to use Loctite on my Dillon, but if you do, blue #243 is the way to go. It does the same job as blue #242, but is also tolerant of oil. Just a drop on each screw would be plenty.

Thanks for responding. Not sure what you mean by the tube base. Are you talking about the tube with the red/blue tips on them?

Edited by GregInAtl

I think I'm having this same issue with the XL750. It's my understanding they share the same or similar primer slide parts. I attached a picture of what mine does.  Will the suggestions above be the same for the 750? I have less than 100 rounds loaded on it 

PicsArt_08-26-08.30.53.jpg

On 8/24/2019 at 7:22 AM, GregInAtl said:

Thanks for responding. Not sure what you mean by the tube base. Are you talking about the tube with the red/blue tips on them?

I meant the silver base that sits around the primer slide, with the black outer primer tube coming up out of it. The piece the two screws go into from below. 

5 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I think I'm having this same issue with the XL750. It's my understanding they share the same or similar primer slide parts. I attached a picture of what mine does.  Will the suggestions above be the same for the 750? I have less than 100 rounds loaded on it 

PicsArt_08-26-08.30.53.jpg

And so it begins.......