Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags Sticking in 9mm 1911

nso123

I have a Caspian framed 9mm 1911 that is having an odd problem. You can load empty or full mags in the pistol and the mag release will drop them normally. After you fire the loaded mag it will be stuck, and won't drop when you hit the mag release. This is not an issue of the mag not dropping free, this is an issue of the mag being stuck. I haven't figured out exactly what makes the mag finally release, but after working with it a bit the mag finally will release. These are Wilson Combat mags.  I have heard of mags binding before, but I am not thinking this is the case. It almost seems mechanical, but why does it not do it until after being fired? I am at a loss on this one. 

Edited by nso123

I had this problem with my 9mm sig max and ordered a new slide stop to fix it.  For me it was only if I shot so the mag was empty not necessarily to slid lock just the last round had to come out of the mag and the follower was slipping over the top of the slid stop.

8 hours ago, fastluck13 said:

If it isn’t the follower, you might take the slide off to get a better view of the mag, mag release, etc. 

does the slide stop match the caliber?  Meaning is it a 9mm slide stop?

You know, I am not sure on the slide stop. It will be a 9mm when the parts arrive though. 

19 hours ago, rustychev said:

I had this problem with my 9mm sig max and ordered a new slide stop to fix it.  For me it was only if I shot so the mag was empty not necessarily to slid lock just the last round had to come out of the mag and the follower was slipping over the top of the slid stop.

Exact same problem, exact same thing fixed it. Les Baer. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would try and borrow some other mags (Dawson Precision, Tripp, etc) and see how they work

in your pistol.  I have two SS STI Trojans in 40sw and the Tripp Cobra mags work great in both

guns.  I have a friend that has a SS Les Baer in 45acp and he uses Dawson Precision mags and

they work great.  And lastly, I have a friend that has a SS STI Trojan in 9mm and he uses Dawson 

Precision mags and they work great.  Wilson mags are some of the best mags available.  Good 

Luck.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, tacomandood said:

Update on this? Did the new slide stop end up fixing it? Just curious, as I know some will kinda file the front of their followers down as well to keep the mag from getting stuck like rustychev mentioned above.

I changed the slide stop out and it fixed the issue.  As a matter of fact, I took it out yesterday and tried a half-dozen different Wilson mags and it ran great with no more stuck mag issues.