Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thickest CZ grips

Eargesplitten

I picked up a used cajunized SP-01 Tactical yesterday and it's fantastic, but on the downside I get the feeling that my shooting is going to suffer from how small the grips are compared to some other guns. I've got big hands, and I can almost hit the mag release with my trigger finger if I reach in as far as I can after dry-firing. What are the thickest grips you can get for these, is there something to make them closer in size to a large-frame Witness? If not, I might just 3d print some, would there be any gotchas for keeping them Production-legal? Possibly also IDPA SSP-legal. Plastic is unlikely to add too much weight over the ones that already came with them, and if it ends up at risk of doing so I could always just reduce the infill percentage to make them lighter.

I got some of those super grippy "scales" grips. A bit thicker and way more aggressive in texture. Really messed up  the mechanics of my reloads though; took me awhile to realize it was the grip change that was messing me up.

I think the thickest grips I've seen are the ones from Patriot Defense.  Lok Grips can do a customized grip for you if you reach out to them.

The biggest issue with CZ is that you'll end with a pile of grips as you try different grip combinations.  I think I have the right combination now but I have a whole pile of them as I was trying different grip panel combinations.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:30 AM, Red_Dot said:

SSI Scales 2.0 measure ~1.330 across the width of the grips and this is the widest I’ve seen to date.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:04 PM, konkapot said:

I got some of those super grippy "scales" grips. A bit thicker and way more aggressive in texture. Really messed up  the mechanics of my reloads though; took me awhile to realize it was the grip change that was messing me up.

I recently switched to these grips as well and really like them. I had been using Lok Palm Swells before, but SSI Scales are flatter and less egg-shaped which helps me feel where the gun is pointing.  It has made my reloads a little more clunky though as well. They'll get back on track with practice.

59 minutes ago, belus said:

I recently switched to these grips as well and really like them. I had been using Lok Palm Swells before, but SSI Scales are flatter and less egg-shaped which helps me feel where the gun is pointing.  It has made my reloads a little more clunky though as well. They'll get back on track with practice.

I agree that the parallel sides help with side-to-side index but I personally think the grip texture is pretty bad compared to the rest.

id be really interested in trying the GCI Frags soon

I had the palm swells but like a flat grip slightly thicker than stock better.  Bought some cheaper G10 grips off Amazon,  built up slightly with JB Weld epoxy and coated with #36 Silicon Carbide.   Way more grippy than anything else and with a little time you can make exactly what you want.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have xl hands as well, and getting thicker grips will make room for your support hand but wont do as much for increasing trigger reach. I've done the silicon carbide treatment to the cz factory rubber grips which are pretty thick. I now have some hogue wraparound grips that make even more room for the weak hand, I intend to silicon carbide those as well.
I'd like to experiment with something like jb steel stick, basically making a blended 1/4" thick pad for the back strap. That could be awesome for making the trigger reach optimal. I just need to do it in a way that I can remove it easily if it isnt ideal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk