Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips on not depressing the slide release?

polymerfeelsweirdman

In the past I would accidentally ride the extended slide release that Glock includes on its "competition models" and switched these to the regular, more flat, slide releases. Now, I have gotten to the point where I have my grip so high that the base of my support hand thumb is against the slide release and is either keeping it from moving or actively keeping it down making it so the slide doesn't lock open on empty about half the time. Does anyone have suggestions on changing grip or other clever solutions to make this not happen? I tried moving my support hand rearward behind the slide release but it made felt recoil worse. 

40 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Shorten the slide stop from the rear.

I am not sure if that would help the way my hand sits and it would probably make it so I could no longer depress the lever with my strong hand

11 minutes ago, Jamese35 said:

I have the same issue. I have decided to live with it as I dont shoot any sport that requires the slide to lock back. 

In production I use it

I have a Ghost "Bullet Forward" slide stop on mine.  It's puts the bump or extra meat or whatever on the front of the slide stop instead of the rear.  It serves two purposes--easier to drop the slide for lefties and helps keep right handers from bumping the slide stop.  I'm a southpaw and I like it, but I have no idea if it works as advertised for right handers.  

• 3 weeks later...

2 things you can do.  First go buy some 33rd wolff replacement magazine springs.  You can jam them into a 17 round mag body.  It cuts capacity down to about 15, but the extra pressure on the follower will usually overcome the resistance of your grip on the slide catch.  If that does not work by itself you need to build up the shelf on the follower with JB weld.  Use masking tape on a clean follower and after the JB weld has dried fit it so its not causing premature lock back.  Then pop the JB weld off (it doesn't adhere to plastic very well) put on a dab of epoxy and drop your little JB weld plug back onto the follower shelf.  That in conjunction with the 33rd spring will guarantee slide lock.

You'll just have to work on finding a grip that doesn't cause the issue. The other "solutions" probably won't completely solve the issue. 

Edited by B_RAD

• 2 weeks later...

When I ran Glocks, I had the same issue with the extended gen 4 slide releases. So all of my Glocks have the gen 3 slide release put on them as soon as they get home from the gun shop. There is a company that is making a raised slide release - https://kagwerks.com/products/kagwerks-extended-raised-slide-release-for-glock that sets the release higher up on the slide, rather than down on the frame. It may be worth a look?

On 8/7/2019 at 8:36 PM, deerslayer said:

I have a Ghost "Bullet Forward" slide stop on mine.  It's puts the bump or extra meat or whatever on the front of the slide stop instead of the rear.  It serves two purposes--easier to drop the slide for lefties and helps keep right handers from bumping the slide stop.  I'm a southpaw and I like it, but I have no idea if it works as advertised for right handers.  

This^^.  As your grip evolves, as noted, this may not fully resolve the issue, but it is a HUGE improvement.