Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZs in IDPA. What's legal where these days?

lfine

I'm familiar with shooting USPSA (Shadow 2 and TSO) and USPSA Production/CO/etc. lists and can easily find what CZ is legal for what division. But as I started to look into possibly shooting at an IDPA club, finding out what's an SSP and what's an ESP seems a bit harder, especially with older links and changes in rules, etc.  If I missed an easy way/place/reference, my apologies and just point me on my way. If not, can someone point me in the right direction or just list what's ok and best these days for SSP and ESP from the CZ family? Including the CZC models? I was ready to pick up something for SSP and maybe, possibly ESP, as well. Thanks, and pardon my ignorance if I should know this or where to get the info.

SSP and ESP Legal:

SP-01

SP-01 Shadow 1

ESP Only:

AccuShadow (Bushing)

The biggest thing in IDPA is the prohibition on “gamer guns.” You can legally change guts internally, but anything external on a SSP Legal Gun would push it into ESP (hence, the AccuShadow).

I personally think the rules got a little relaxed, long time CZ shooters had to use the ESP in SSP rule for the Full Length Dust Cover on the SP-01, which the prohibition has sorta went away.

Edited by SouperMan

The best way to have a reference for legality of guns in IDPA is to refer to current rules.  They are fairly good at updating rules when changes occur.

The current rules about equipment and Divisions start of Page 25 of the document found at this link:

https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/IDPA-Rulebook-2017.pdf

I have been shooting a sp-01 shadow in ESP for years. I just prefer to start cocked and locked instead of DA. Now with the new rule changes, I have been debating on converting it to SAO and adding a magwell. But I can't justify the cost, the gun isn't holding me back. 

If you wanted to shoot your shadow 2 in idpa, you could shave some weight internally off of the slide/frame. You would also have to ditch the over sized mag release. It could be done, but I dont know if its worth it. 

45. Thanks for the reference. That’ll be handy. 

Degs, I’m too happy with my S2s to mess around with them. Think I’d rather just add an SP-01 Shadow to the collection, especially if I can find a CZC version. If not, I’ll pick up a non -CZC and work on it. 

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, lfine said:

Thanks. That helps quite a bit. Is the CTLS-P legal for SSP these days? Someone recommended one to me over an SP 01 Shadow   Thanks again 

Don’t see a lot of CZ LS-Ps, but I think it can be done but you gotta watch the weight and make sure it fits in the IDPA box which it looks like it can. Here’s a good read on the LS-Ps in IDPA: 

I have a 75 Shadow CTS LS-P short dust cover.  It fits in the new box and makes weight.  Stock, CZC, and Springer base pads all fit and make weight.  Mine does not have the magwell and I also have the adjustable rear sight.  I run a combo of 16, 17, and 18 round mags.  Good juju.

That's a great thread Souperman!

Edited by WxGuy

Agreed, thanks, souperman.  

One last question. I know that in USPSA we're allowed to make some minor adjustments opening up the magwell a bit, internally, more commonly on a Tanfo. From what I read that would not be allowed in SSP, is that correct? 

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:33 PM, lfine said:

Thanks. That helps quite a bit. Is the CTLS-P legal for SSP these days? Someone recommended one to me over an SP 01 Shadow   Thanks again 

I would have to say no due the 2,000 units per year 10,000 unit minimum.