Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
JoeSoop

Tips for grip change with Open gun

Recommended Posts

Hey All - new to the forum so I apologize if there is a thread on this already. I recently had a custom 2011 built for me to shoot Open in USPSA. It’s a middy (4.5” barrel), steel grip and chambered in 9mm. Beautiful gun. One thing I am trying to adjust to is having to modify my grip slightly from the plastic 9mm minor guns I have been shooting for the past few years. I always got as high up the slide with my support hand as possible with the plastic guns, but on the 2011 it seems getting high up gets you into trouble with things like extended mag release button, scope mount, thumbrest, etc. Any tips to more easily transition to an open gun friendly grip. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of dry fire.    

 

Congratulations on the new gun - sounds great.    :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your steel grip has more of an aggressive texture you can move more of your palm closer to the backstrap and try to really get “behind the gun.” Has worked very well for me and I don’t think I’d go back to a more “traditional” style grip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dryfire until you find your proper grip, then dryfire some more.. Every day.! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loose the button and the thumb rest, you have been shooting without them for years as you said, and neither are necessary or for many people even helpful, so why add them?    remember just because you can bolt something to your gun doesn't mean you should, the whole point of Open is not to conform to the gun but to be able to make the gun conform to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Loose the button and the thumb rest, you have been shooting without them for years as you said, and neither are necessary or for many people even helpful, so why add them?    remember just because you can bolt something to your gun doesn't mean you should, the whole point of Open is not to conform to the gun but to be able to make the gun conform to you.

Agreed plus a ton of dry fire 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Loose the button and the thumb rest, you have been shooting without them for years as you said, and neither are necessary or for many people even helpful, so why add them?    remember just because you can bolt something to your gun doesn't mean you should, the whole point of Open is not to conform to the gun but to be able to make the gun conform to you.

Good point! I purposely got a screw on thumb rest in case I wanted to easy remove it. Might try that. The button I have is fairly small (not oversized), but I could remove it and just use the open circle. Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rishii said:

Agreed plus a ton of dry fire 

totally agree with the dry fire...working on it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Furrly said:

Dryfire until you find your proper grip, then dryfire some more.. Every day.! 

What is that line...professionals don’t practice until they get it right...they practice until they can’t get it wrong. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lacivilian said:

If your steel grip has more of an aggressive texture you can move more of your palm closer to the backstrap and try to really get “behind the gun.” Has worked very well for me and I don’t think I’d go back to a more “traditional” style grip. 

Interesting perspective. I have a very aggressive metal grip so that’s no issue. And it does seem like most open guns are constructed to promote yours hands more behind that gun versus up the slide like lighter guns. Thx!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Lots of dry fire.    

 

Congratulations on the new gun - sounds great.    :) 

Thanks Jack! Working on it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeSoop said:

Interesting perspective. I have a very aggressive metal grip so that’s no issue. And it does seem like most open guns are constructed to promote yours hands more behind that gun versus up the slide like lighter guns. Thx!

The key to shooting points fast is for the gun to return to zero. Shooting a steel gripped open gun I really want to feel like I’m “behind” the gun. It just feels much easier to return the gun to the POA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeSoop said:

Good point! I purposely got a screw on thumb rest in case I wanted to easy remove it. Might try that. The button I have is fairly small (not oversized), but I could remove it and just use the open circle. Thx

if you look around you will be surprised how many guns you see with the button removed and just a tapped release

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just recently switched to shielded safety’s also. Helped out a bit for me too but I still need to keep working the draw in dry fire 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Move all the junk around until it works.  The size and location of all the stuff on my gun is odd but works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Move all the junk around until it works.  The size and location of all the stuff on my gun is odd but works for me.

That makes sense theWacoKid. I am just starting to get comfortable with the new platform. Dry firing a ton...getting there. Thanks for your input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, MikeBurgess said:

if you look around you will be surprised how many guns you see with the button removed and just a tapped release

Eyes open now. Thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, lacivilian said:

The key to shooting points fast is for the gun to return to zero. Shooting a steel gripped open gun I really want to feel like I’m “behind” the gun. It just feels much easier to return the gun to the POA.

After running her a few more times this past week I agree. Working on that grip change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JoeSoop said:

After running her a few more times this past week I agree. Working on that grip change.

Good to hear. Hope it works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...