Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for grip change with Open gun

JoeSoop

Hey All - new to the forum so I apologize if there is a thread on this already. I recently had a custom 2011 built for me to shoot Open in USPSA. It’s a middy (4.5” barrel), steel grip and chambered in 9mm. Beautiful gun. One thing I am trying to adjust to is having to modify my grip slightly from the plastic 9mm minor guns I have been shooting for the past few years. I always got as high up the slide with my support hand as possible with the plastic guns, but on the 2011 it seems getting high up gets you into trouble with things like extended mag release button, scope mount, thumbrest, etc. Any tips to more easily transition to an open gun friendly grip. Thanks in advance!

If your steel grip has more of an aggressive texture you can move more of your palm closer to the backstrap and try to really get “behind the gun.” Has worked very well for me and I don’t think I’d go back to a more “traditional” style grip. 

Loose the button and the thumb rest, you have been shooting without them for years as you said, and neither are necessary or for many people even helpful, so why add them?    remember just because you can bolt something to your gun doesn't mean you should, the whole point of Open is not to conform to the gun but to be able to make the gun conform to you.

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Loose the button and the thumb rest, you have been shooting without them for years as you said, and neither are necessary or for many people even helpful, so why add them?    remember just because you can bolt something to your gun doesn't mean you should, the whole point of Open is not to conform to the gun but to be able to make the gun conform to you.

Agreed plus a ton of dry fire 

3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Good point! I purposely got a screw on thumb rest in case I wanted to easy remove it. Might try that. The button I have is fairly small (not oversized), but I could remove it and just use the open circle. Thx

5 hours ago, Furrly said:

Dryfire until you find your proper grip, then dryfire some more.. Every day.! 

What is that line...professionals don’t practice until they get it right...they practice until they can’t get it wrong. :)

5 hours ago, lacivilian said:

If your steel grip has more of an aggressive texture you can move more of your palm closer to the backstrap and try to really get “behind the gun.” Has worked very well for me and I don’t think I’d go back to a more “traditional” style grip. 

Interesting perspective. I have a very aggressive metal grip so that’s no issue. And it does seem like most open guns are constructed to promote yours hands more behind that gun versus up the slide like lighter guns. Thx!

1 hour ago, JoeSoop said:

Interesting perspective. I have a very aggressive metal grip so that’s no issue. And it does seem like most open guns are constructed to promote yours hands more behind that gun versus up the slide like lighter guns. Thx!

The key to shooting points fast is for the gun to return to zero. Shooting a steel gripped open gun I really want to feel like I’m “behind” the gun. It just feels much easier to return the gun to the POA.

1 hour ago, JoeSoop said:

Good point! I purposely got a screw on thumb rest in case I wanted to easy remove it. Might try that. The button I have is fairly small (not oversized), but I could remove it and just use the open circle. Thx

if you look around you will be surprised how many guns you see with the button removed and just a tapped release

17 hours ago, theWacoKid said:

Move all the junk around until it works.  The size and location of all the stuff on my gun is odd but works for me.

That makes sense theWacoKid. I am just starting to get comfortable with the new platform. Dry firing a ton...getting there. Thanks for your input!

On 8/5/2019 at 3:43 PM, MikeBurgess said:

if you look around you will be surprised how many guns you see with the button removed and just a tapped release

Eyes open now. Thx

On 8/5/2019 at 3:37 PM, lacivilian said:

The key to shooting points fast is for the gun to return to zero. Shooting a steel gripped open gun I really want to feel like I’m “behind” the gun. It just feels much easier to return the gun to the POA.

After running her a few more times this past week I agree. Working on that grip change.