Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags are important to bring

JAF1680

I was running a 3 gun match and started getting odd questions from one of the open shooters that normally would do quite well on options.  On the first stage everyone was pre loading shotguns and getting ready to go.  He walks buy with a magfed shotgun and rifle with a bipod and a glock 27 on his hip.  He had a brand new DVC Open on his belt when he was asking questions in the morning.  He had driven 2 hours to the match and forgot his magazines for the 2011.  I made a better friend that day when I told him I had spare mags in my car.  He has never forgotten them again.     

10 hours ago, davsco said:

bringing the mags with you to a match is good, but let's just say that having them in your mag pouches and not back in your range bag, is also good, when you dump your handgun (3 gun match) and it's time to rock with your AR...

I watched that happen to a buddy at Blue Ridge last year, he ran all the way back through the stage to his range bag to grab his mag and then all the way back to the shooting position. Still didn't time out though.

• 4 weeks later...

As a Single Stack Shooter I have two sets of 7 mags, one goes in my Range Bag loops and the other

in a Mag Carrying Case.  Basically one set are Practice Mags and the other are Match Mags but both

are exactly the same and are interchangeable.   

I say before each Match that I am going to make a list of items to take and I eventually don't.   That all

changed at my last Match as I left part of my CPAP at home; thankfully I was only 3 hours from home

and my wife met me half way and saved the day.  Thanks Honey!!!!!!!  I know that's a different thread,

but all equipment is important.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

had a guy shooting single stack with 3 spare mags. He over estimated his ability to clean stages and declined to borrow some of my mags on stage 1. I offered after he ran out of mags on stage 1 and he gladly accepted and commented on how he needs practice. Not only is it important to bring mags, but to bring ENOUGH mags to complete the stages with room to spare.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, 920webb said:

I always bring in of mags to a match al ready preloaded before the match so that I don't have worry about reloading magazines .

Also this way I have some to spare . 

Not only do I do that, but I stick them in the magazine pouches.  When I put my belt on the only thing left to do is head to the safe area and stick the pistol in the holster.

I can do better.  I brought mags, loaded up the night before, but no gun!  First stage, everyone is getting ready, and I have my belt on with mags and go poking through my range bag only to start laughing at how I left the pistol in the safe at home (over an hour away). 

I was all set to just RO everyone for the day, but it got better.  A good friend loaned me his open gun, rig and ammo (well...do you really "loan" ammo?).  I have been ruined ever since, and remain forever grateful for the opportunity to blast away with a comp and dot (my face was sore from smiling so much).   

I even got to pay it forward!  We had a bunch of new shooters on our squad that day, all shooting the same ammo and mags that I brought up, so I gladly gave them my stuff to use (since most of them only had 1 or 2 magazines with them).  

Granted, I've never forgotten my meager iron sight blaster since then...but if that buddy is signed up for the same match, I'm always tempted.

• 2 weeks later...

What may be worse is forgetting your holster when you're running a rather obscure gun. I did that once when I was shooting my XDm 5.25. When I asked at the shooters meeting if anyone happened to have an "extra",  one guy did, for his backup gun.

mags are pretty trivial, once when heading out to a horse race I forgot my dang horse. 
Trailer hooked up ? check
Tack ? check,
Thermos of coffee ? check
Food for 3 days ? check,
Hay, horse feed ,coral panels ? check
Pint of Jimbeam to either celebrate or drown sorrows ? check..
Work 10 hour shift till 1230 AM, come home grab few hours sleep to roll out by 3am,, head down drive,, horse is standing by fence looking at me.... hummmmmmmmmmmm sonofa

• 7 months later...

I have a mental "check list" like I have for my boat. I don't leave my driveway to go boating or shooting without going over my checklist.

That said, with a check list, I think I'd forget my underwear before mags, ammo and a gun. 

I have done it also.  Mags stored in velcro 6 count pouches.  Correct pistol?  Check.  Mags?  DOH!  Grabbed the wrong pouch.  

Bought some mag pouches in different colors to assist in grabbing the correct caliber during early morning pack jobs.