Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rules history

rtr

Can anyone either link me to a digital copy of whatever rules were in effect in 2006 or tell me what the official range commands were at that time?  Thanks.

Pretty much the same as we have now, except it was always "Load and Make Ready" (even on unloaded starts), and "If clear, hammer down, holster" for all firearms.  Revo shooters and RO's of revo shooters knew that meant just close the cylinder and holster.

Old folks at my club have always used "slide, hammer, holster" for their stuff. But they're mainly IDPA folks, and I believe that's a derivation of their rules.

It's been a nuisance training myself out of the bad habits they've taught me since I've started.

The "if clear" language was added around the time you specify to clarify it is ultimately the shooter's responsibility to ensure his gun is empty at the end of the course of fire.  Prior to that there was the occasional DRL who, upon having an AD during that process, would try to assign blame to the RO for having erred on telling them the gun was clear and issuing a range command telling the shooter to pull the trigger.  This was ALWAYS a BS defense, but it nevertheless gained traction.  Accordingly, the sport (both here in the US and internationally) added the "if clear" language to unmistakenly put the onus on the shooter where it rightfully belongs.

When I hear "shooter ready", that tells me I am dealing with an amateur. The "slide forward" is a current command under IDPA, probably just because "not USPSA". Here are all their commands:

2.12.1    Range    Is    Hot    - Eyes    &    Ears
2.12.2    Load    and    Make    Ready
2.12.3    Are    You    Ready?
2.12.4    Standby
2.12.8    If    Finished,    Unload    and    Show    Clear
2.12.9    If    Clear,    Slide    Forward    or    Close    Cylinder
2.12.10    Pull    the    Trigger
2.12.11    Holster
2.12.12    Range    is    Clear

How about, “give me a nod when ready.” Shooter ready.” Then in a quieter voice, “shooter indicates ready” likes he’s letting everybody else know. Where does this stuff come from?

2 minutes ago, OPENB said:

How about, “give me a nod when ready.” Shooter ready.” Then in a quieter voice, “shooter indicates ready” likes he’s letting everybody else know. Where does this stuff come from?

Old steel challenge commands