Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lunch break

EA308

I always have a hard time getting my head back in the game after taking a lunch break, especially at major matches. I have tried going to the safe areas and doing a little grip and draw as well as dry fire. What does everybody else do to regain focus after eating lunch and taking a break?

7 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I try not to take a break and each a "lunch".

I snack during the match, but stay "in the game".

I eat as much, or more, than I would during a "lunch break", but little here and

little there.    :) 

+1. Some lunches at FL matches (and others) get a bit "heavy". Seems like the organizers want to show off all the beans, potato salad, BBQ they can so the D Class shooters figure they're getting their moneys worth. Not good in your stomach if you want to stay sharp. Munching light, staying "lean", good call. And, while everyone else is stuffing 5,000 calories into their system, you can be at the Safe Handling Area, thinking about the rest of the stages.... with half a P&J sammich on wheat bread. On the stages after the "lunch break" I'd rather be lean & hungry than " fully stuffed".

Edited by GOF
Added... edit screwed up.

20 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

You cannot beat a PBJ sandwich on whole wheat bread - has all three food groups ….    😇

Seriously, that's exactly what I usually bring, along with lots of water.    :) 

Peanut butter on a wheat cracker or wheat bread was recommended to me by a doctor (Chief of Staff, Lake City FL regional medical center) who I shot USPSA with awhile back. He ran triathalons in college. I added the jelly to make it go down easier.  He also likes the nutrition drinks (like Boost, or Ensure), and I drink one of those on my way to a match. . I also read somewhere that there is a MLB pitcher who eats a couple of P&J sammiches during a game and finds it keeps his energy at a peak. 

Also, at this one club there were several other doctors who shot. All of them carried a tuperware container with cut up fresh fruit... grapes, apples, bananas, etc., and would dig into it every couple of hours. The first doctor also said that the natural sugars in fresh fruit are also an excellent source of energy, although it's inconvenient to carry. P&J on wheat is simple.

10 minutes ago, GOF said:

Peanut butter on a wheat cracker or wheat bread was recommended to me by a doctor (Chief of Staff, Lake City FL regional medical center) who I shot USPSA with awhile back. He ran triathalons in college. I added the jelly to make it go down easier.  He also likes the nutrition drinks (like Boost, or Ensure), and I drink one of those on my way to a match. . I also read somewhere that there is a MLB pitcher who eats a couple of P&J sammiches during a game and finds it keeps his energy at a peak. 

Also, at this one club there were several other doctors who shot. All of them carried a tuperware container with cut up fresh fruit... grapes, apples, bananas, etc., and would dig into it every couple of hours. The first doctor also said that the natural sugars in fresh fruit are also an excellent source of energy, although it's inconvenient to carry. P&J on wheat is simple.

I know for a fact I can survive for weeks on peanut butter sandwiches or crackers. I packed a few jars in my ruck back in my Army days.

The PB&Js seem to be the consensus. I like the idea of packing some fruit into a cooler or lunch box to keep it cold. I generally dink some sort of high protein drink in the mornings to get me going so I know the breakfast part is pretty well taken care of. 

Again, thank you everyone for your input. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been shooting this sport since 1979 and I don't think there is any problem with eating a light lunch.

Be smart, sit down, take a break and eat a small lunch.  I snack during the match with items others

have posted.  Everyone has their favorite snack, but I think the most important thing is to hydrate, not

just the day of the match, but especially the day or days before.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:20 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

You cannot beat a PBJ sandwich on whole wheat bread - has all three food groups ….    😇

Seriously, that's exactly what I usually bring, along with lots of water.    :) 

My lunch of choice except I bring Gatorade zero and protein bars and fruit to snack on.  I also bring kleenex wipes to wash my hands while handling food.

You weren’t obviously at the ICORE NW Regionals in SF this past March.  A few member who is a chef shows up with a mobile pizza oven and staff.  OMG!  Gourmet pizzas, roast beef and pork, dessert and punch.  Basically I paid for Lunch with a match thrown in.

On 8/5/2019 at 4:50 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I eat as much, or more, than I would during a "lunch break", but little here and

That worked well for me too. 

• 1 month later...

I actually really dislike when matches have hard stops for lunch.  I'd much rather keep the flow going and munch in healthy snacks throughout the match.  Pull along cart is probably the best thing I've ever bought for matches.

I shot a outlaw match that had a hard stop for lunch when all squads only had one stage left.  That was kind of annoying.

yeh that one stage thing was plain wrong..
Big matches should probably stop at lunch , and u are done for day, next squads shoot after lunch.
As a former CRO at Majors, I kinda appreciated lunch break, I was gonna be their dawn to dusk anyways.

I try not to stop, and just snack as I go some thing light . I don't care for the heavy meals they have at matches like a burger or a hotdog . I would prefer just a light sandwich .

I you have to stop try to not to sit for long just keep moving and  eat half  or less of the food they give you . 

• 6 months later...
On 8/5/2019 at 7:50 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Great advice.

6 minutes ago, Seery said:

Great advice.

Here’s some more:

Comtinuing this course of action, you’ll very shortly find yourself banned from the classified forums you’re chasing.

...Fifty legitimate posts...

Edited by MemphisMechanic