Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 - Recoil spring

Snowman50

Hi.  I have a gen 3, Glock 17 and I shoot minor PF reloads.  I have a Jager guide rod with a 13lb. ISMI recoil spring. At times, brass doesn't get ejected very well (maybe 2ft.). Should I go with a 15lb. spring instead?  Thanks!

Paul

You said minor pf but not exactly what the pf is. I have your same set up but my pf is about 135. sGlocks never had a very good ejection pattern. As long as you don’t have brass to the face, and the gun runs don’t mess with it. Going up in  recoil spring might make it worse. An Apex failure resistant extractor might help also, they are solid barstock and much better than the mim  that Glock now uses.

Edited by rooster
Misspell

Factory ammo is a lot hotter, you could go up a little in pf. If that doesn’t work get the Apex extractor. Apex designed that extractor years ago to fix the Glock ejection problem, however it doesn’t fix all guns.

I'd think that weak ejection would be an over sprung gun, not an under sprung gun..  as mentioned, bump up the powder a smidge and see if it helps.  Really, if it is running fine, who cares how far it's tossing brass?

Not too many people run an 11 lb spring. I know Bob Vogel does, but all the Glock springs run in conjunction with one another. 13 is about the lowest most uspsa shooter run. The factory weight is 17, the oem striker springer is 5.5. That is a little over 3 to 1. I try and keep that relationship close. So I run a 13 recoil with a 4.5 striker. Only change one thing at a time. Bump powder first, then try the other.

On 8/3/2019 at 6:18 PM, Snowman50 said:

My PF is about 130.  No brass to face but some come back to top of my cap.  With  stock 17lb. spring, ejection pattern was better, but that was with factory ammo.

The reason for some brass ejecting at different places is the varying rim thickness of different 9mm brands. And usually your reloads will be mixed headstamps. Which is why the factory ammo is consistent, all the same headstamp. If in your reloads you used all the same headstamp, you'd see more consistent ejection patterns.

• 1 month later...

I run a gen 3 17 with a 13 lb recoil spring and a replaced the ejector with a gen 4. I also have a 3lb striker spring with a light steel striker if that makes any difference. I havent noticed any bad ejection patterns after changing the ejector with the gen 4. Also up in the thread the Apex ejector should also do at least as good or better. Gen 3 ejectors just aren't very consistent in throwing brass