Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 extraction issue?

Yondering

Is it common for these Tanfos to require an extra power extractor spring?

My fairly new Stock 2 is tuned for minor loads and works well for me (9 lb Wolf recoil spring, PD 15.5 hammer spring, Titan hammer, etc), however I let a friend shoot it recently with some factory-equivalent loads and it failed to extract a number of rounds with either of us shooting it. This wasn't a partial extraction failure, the fired case would remain in the chamber with the extractor obviously jumping over the rim. 

The extractor appears to be undamaged and moves freely with good spring tension, but I ordered an extra power spring and will be going through the extractor parts and polishing everything as well. I'll make sure the "hook" angle on the extractor is correct as well, maybe I got a bad one that's angled wrong?

I never had extraction issues with my .45 or 10mm Witness pistols, but they weren't tuned for minor loads either. Just wondering if you guys have experienced this as well?

Edited by Yondering

15 hours ago, Yondering said:

Stock 2 [...] failed to extract a number of rounds

Had the same issue. Extra power extractor springs did not help. What did help is filing off about 0.1 mm from extractor foot (the shiny surface that the red arrow points to):

86152.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

There are some brass cases which are a lot smaller than others.

Back in the when i was shooting a ton of factory. you will notice RP brass are smaller the WIN, SPEER, etc.

• 2 months later...

what I noticed with these guns is the extractor track gets really gunk'd up really fast and hinders the movement of the extractor if neglected. I am using factory extractor spring without any ejection issues. I do use a small drop of thin oil on top, bottom and close to the extractor pin. this loosens up the gunk and kind of "self cleans". I do this every after shooting session and no ejection issues so far. this is the thin oil that I use. dont go crazy and put too much, it can end up in the firing pin channel. 

71Cv3Z4AZIL._SY679_.jpg

Edited by Agent #1911

Guys, I reported back in August that an extra power extractor spring fixed this issue. The thread got revived by someone trying to bump their post count, but I haven't had any further extraction issues with my pistol.