Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650XL Primer Index Issue

I was running a batch of 9mm on my 650XL tonight and on the downstroke it suddenly felt like the whole press tightened up. After doing a few shorter strokes, things loosened up, but the primers stopped feeding. I took the primer assembly apart and cleaned and lubed it, but it didn't correct the issue. Now it appears that the disc is indexing about half of the correct amount now, as it is properly indexed on every second stroke. It almost seems like the indexing arm isn't grabbing the disc in the right position. Does this sound like a quick fix, or does it sound like I need parts?

I took the entire priming assembly apart and cleaned and lubed it. I also took the primer eater out and cleaned it. Same thing with the shell plate. It is almost like the index arm is not moving in the correct plane and binding the spring.  It makes me wonder if something may have bent when it suddenly tightened up and it is causing the index arm to not move properly. 

It’s fairly fragile if you forced it much. Do you have a spare parts kit to compare parts with? Maybe take a pic of the Assy and post it for us to look at.

Something is probably bent

When this happens to me there is often a primer (or piece of one) that kept going around with each stroke until it jams. It gets tighter and tighter as it gets wedged into the primer assembly.

The index arm can also be bent, which means the return spring sets at an angle. Take it out and look at it - it should be straight and not bent upwards.

Edited by rodell

31 minutes ago, Balakay said:

change the indexing arm spring.  Whenever the arm starts missing the holes on the disk, this seems to be the problem on my 650

This 👆.. If this does not fix the problem then your indexing arm is bent.. 

9 hours ago, rodell said:

When this happens to me there is often a primer (or piece of one) that kept going around with each stroke until it jams. It gets tighter and tighter as it gets wedged into the primer assembly.

The index arm can also be bent, which means the return spring sets at an angle. Take it out and look at it - it should be straight and not bent upwards.

This just happened to me, found a small piece of primer brass or crimp ring that fell out when I took it apart. Bent the arm, once replaced it worked fine. 

Happened using range brass, pretty sure it is crimped/sealed Winchester Nato type brass. Has a crimp ring, not sure if it was the crimp ring or a piece of the primer that stuck in the primer plate opening and jammed it. If I feel resistance now I stop immediately without forcing the arm and take the primer assembly apart to prevent the primer advance arm from bending. I keep a spare around.

gerritm

2 hours ago, Balakay said:

change the indexing arm spring.  Whenever the arm starts missing the holes on the disk, this seems to be the problem on my 650

Yes. The spring will lose it's power over time. I've also had a couple break.

The arm can also develop problems and both issues will result in the behavior you describe.

Call Dillon, describe the problem, they will most likely send you both a new spring and a new arm.

Ask them to send you a couple of springs so you have a backup.

They most likely will have no problem with that request.

Try operating the primer index arm manually, by pushing it counter-clockwise. Does the disc rotate far enough for the detent ball to click into place? If not, then the index arm is damaged. If it does line up with manual operation, examine the black nylon cam bolted to the right side of the front part of the frame. It is possible this was damaged to a point where it no longer forces the index arm all the way over. If this appears to be the case, put a piece of cardboard behind the cam to shim it outboard, so you can load for now. Then contact us for a replacement.

Be sure the axle pin that the primer disc and index arm pivot around is greased. If it's too dry, the primer index arm can fail to come back fully.

4 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Also check your primer disk to make sure it’s still flat. I had this happen and found that my disk was warped at some point. 

Now THAT'S something I've never checked for. Until tonight.