Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullet comparison

chetc

No, but try the Precision 125g flat point (conical) in .358 dia.  Cleanest coated bullets I've tried yet.   I got some 100g of the same profile for steel challenge loads also.  Stick with .358 anything if your loading for a Shadow 2, much better.

9 hours ago, GMP said:

No, but try the Precision 125g flat point (conical) in .358 dia.  Cleanest coated bullets I've tried yet.   I got some 100g of the same profile for steel challenge loads also.  Stick with .358 anything if your loading for a Shadow 2, much better.

i hear you on .358 dia. but i take it you don't use the Lee factory crimp die on the last stage. any problems with coating shavings

chet

4 hours ago, chetc said:

i hear you on .358 dia. but i take it you don't use the Lee factory crimp die on the last stage. any problems with coating shavings

chet

Lee FCD is kiss of death with coated bullets, and really not needed period if your sizing process is good.  All your doing is swagging down the bullet and undoing the reason to go with .358s in the first place.   I have no shaving or swagging issues with .358s but I use the proper NOE expander in the Lee Universal flaring die (replaces the Lee insert).  This allows the bullet to sit perfectly square in the case before seating, and not have the base swagged down from case taper.  I seat with the Hornady seating die and barely hit the rim with the Hornady crimp die.   They run 100% in my CZs.   Also, cull your brass of the junk like CBC and Aguilla.  They bulge bad with expansion for .358s.

I use a lot of Lee dies but just have no use for the Lee Factory Crimp Die.  No good for anything but Jacketed .355 bullets as it can size them down as mentioned above.
Lee FCD Sucks for jacketed too. IME it somewhat behaves as a roll crimp die and trashes the case mouths. Which you obviously don't want for 9mm. Maybe ok for a revolver in 9mm...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, chetc said:

i am shooting the 9mm bayou 120 tcg bullet, i am looking at the Acme 9mm 122 conical nose similar to the bayou, anyone ever shoot these 2 bullets to compare.

chet

Im just finishing up a case of the Acme 122 CN bullets, probably have a couple hundred left.  Very accurate for me, would order again.  Im sure Ive shot the bayou profile before as well, just not recently enough to remember it, but Im sure it was fine too.  Would order again, but gonna try the Brazos 125RN first since they are priced better, and I like to tinker with different bullets anyway. 

8 hours ago, dave33 said:

Im just finishing up a case of the Acme 122 CN bullets, probably have a couple hundred left.  Very accurate for me, would order again.  Im sure Ive shot the bayou profile before as well, just not recently enough to remember it, but Im sure it was fine too.  Would order again, but gonna try the Brazos 125RN first since they are priced better, and I like to tinker with different bullets anyway. 

the brazo are ok, what load are you using on the acme 122, i am loading 4.0 to 4.0

2 sport pistol or 3.6 titegroup

chet

12 hours ago, chetc said:

the brazo are ok, what load are you using on the acme 122, i am loading 4.0 to 4.0

2 sport pistol or 3.6 titegroup

chet

3.9-4.0 gr of AA #2 was what I used on this last case of the Acme 122’s. Prior to that 3.8 gr of titegroup worked well.