Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 692 9mm/38/357 6" Bue

cking

On 2/13/2020 at 7:54 PM, cking said:

You can close that gap, just put some marker on the wood or frame then assemble shoot, remove look for contact spots, then scrap those spots repeat until seam closes, I moved mine around some.

The grip is smaller, as adding wood would be bigger project, I would like to make them longer into a big butt. The flare at the bottom was removed, because it was too high, it is supposed to be below your pinky, not under it.

I could glue a contrast color piece of cocabola to the bottom but fitting the two halves and shaping the butt is a lot more work.

Maybe if I start winning match's I will. The second gun I built for a guy won the pistol match first time out with it.  We shoot steel plates with two racks and a dueling popper in the middle, makes a fast moving man on man match, winner shoot against winners, losers against losers, then a single elimination shootoff. Takes about 1.5 hours and you shoot about 75 rounds and get about 7 to 8 rounds with 15 to 20 shooters.

I see what you did. You made them much thinner in the upper part - you even had to remove Taurus medallion. Went first time to the range today, that ORIGINAL upper rear "square " shaped area, bites your palm even with 9mm and  357 is really painful. I will have some work to do ...

Can you say what you did with area you sanded off afterward?

Any clear coat ?

Edited by dekibg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a comment on porting, knew a guy who tapped the ports on his Taurus pin gun and put setscrews in to block the ports,

(of course you need to watch the length) this worked for years as far as I know.

Would this be legal for the iron site revo games ??

8 hours ago, 10mmdave said:

Just a comment on porting, knew a guy who tapped the ports on his Taurus pin gun and put setscrews in to block the ports,

(of course you need to watch the length) this worked for years as far as I know.

Depends I think. Seems like limited would be allowed for ICORE. Not ICORE classic or IDPA (if IDPA still has the rule about an unaltered factory barrel).

Not sure how that fares legally with Steel Challenge either

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but for your sake I really hope Taurus has improved the metallurgy on their revolvers.  They were good sponsors of competitive shooting about 25 years ago, and we all really wanted to like them, but unfortunately the guns did not hold up.  The earlier 8-shot guns were notorious for going out of time very, very quickly.  If you ever see Tom Drazy at a match, he can tell you plenty about his experiences with Taurus wheels.

For those seeking to save a few dollars by trying to make a Taurus into a match revolver, I would suggest that you tread carefully.  Yes, Smith & Wesson revolvers do need some work to be competition-ready, but once they are set up properly, they tend to run trouble-free for an extremely long time.   

Yeah I had a 608 Taurus 8 shot about 16 years ago which I bought from a friend. It did have trouble with the timing but I sent it back to Taurus and they fixed it. It was an accurate pistol my freind bought it back from me after a couple years. As for the 692 it's just for plinking and my curiosity. I might shoot it at none sanctioned steel match. With the ported barrel and 7 shots it's probably not really good for competition anyway. At this point I'm playing with loads to get some kind of accuracy. Thanks for the heads up. I already have 5 Smith and Wessons revolvers for competition.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk