Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus 692 9mm/38/357 6" Bue

cking

Just got today and for just less than $500, I'm impressed. Tore it apart and did a typical DA job, no spring trimming till I get more. MIM parts but are nice and hard and stone well gave good finish. To heavy barrel but I can mill off the under lug. Don't like grips, short and rounded like a carry gun. Cylinder fit and timing better than any S&W Star was hand cut bye somebody with skill, both cylinders perfect. So summary buy it and spend the money you didn't spend on the S&W for typical trigger job and be happy.

I found a Wolff spring kit with reduce rates, stock is 14# kit comes 10,11,12, and two reduced trigger springs. The biggest hassle is nobody make a wood grip. The factory grip is terrible, leaves my pinky with nothing to hang on too. I'm not a lover of Rubber grips and monogrip frame allows lots of freedom, but I guess is too new. I will test for accuracy after the springs go in.

5 hours ago, cking said:

I found a Wolff spring kit with reduce rates, stock is 14# kit comes 10,11,12, and two reduced trigger springs. The biggest hassle is nobody make a wood grip. The factory grip is terrible, leaves my pinky with nothing to hang on too. I'm not a lover of Rubber grips and monogrip frame allows lots of freedom, but I guess is too new. I will test for accuracy after the springs go in.

Check with Ken at Altamont:  https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/taurus/

He makes wood grips for the Taurus Tracker revos.

3 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Yes,  but they also make a 8 shot gun, just with the same ported barrels, so an otherwise lower entry cost option isn't.

That should do it, with a clip conversion and some .38 SC.

A guy at a recent USPSAish Revolver Special had a Taurus of some sort, tuned in a local shop and doing well.  Must have been a sixshooter because he had Comp III loaders.

unfortunate that the ported barrels they use don't play well with most competition rule sets, 
That's my problem. They build a surprisingly nice gun, and I don't even mind the 7-shot, but they port EVERYTHING.

ICORE Limited with one less shot is very different than ICORE Open...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Things are going well, the Wolff spring pak from Brownells came in and I installed the 10 pound trigger and hammer springs. Did a little polishing inside the frame, installed some Powers washers for trigger and hammer to keep them centered, cut 2 coils of the hammer and 3  off the trigger. Recut the trigger face to improve the SA pull it creeped. Mainly want a light smooth DA pull. Beveled slightly the edges of the cylinder. Also cut 2 turns off the cylinder catch spring, it is the same as the 1911 mag catch spring, the tension made the cylinder open slowly. Found a guy on ebay that makes old style S&W square butt grips for $50 from eBay, plan to remove excess wood till the fit my hand. Weigand makes a short rail that uses the rear sight screw for the Vortex Venom 6 moa dot. TK custom makes  moon clips. 

After shooting I won't be lightening the barrel under lug, limited testing with federal 115gr convinced me leave it alone.

Also the MIM parts polish very nicely and I was able to get mirror polish on the trigger, this is steel gun. The Mim parts in the S&W stainless guns also look like packed sand under 12x magnifier. When grips and dot are on I shoot from a bag at 25yds with federals give you 7 shot groups size.

So for gun $491 , Grip $50, Base $40, Venom $206 total $787.00 or the starting price of S&W.

So bored today in between watching a slow moving storm and intermittent rain, what to do? The Loctite is dry let's test the 692 with TK custom moon clips, red dot and grips before range trip to zero. So I load up a TK CLIP with the aluminum cased federal 115gr 9mm ammo. Open the porch door and put 7 shots in the dirt, come back in to inspect primer strikes. Gun and sight functioned well, but I open the cylinder and push the ejector rod and it says no. I push harder, still no, so I take cylinder out, just a button push. Look thinks over and tap the ejector on the desk and finally they eject. I inspect the cylinders and they look fine just that nitride finish. Now I want to use Alum case ammo but sure won't be any fast reloads. So I get cylinder polishing hone brush out and the oil it needs and I slick up the cylinders. I had already bevel the edge, but now fresh moon just falls right in. Test again still STUCK, so I lube the cylinder with a little spray silicone, test, better but no prize. Test with brass, fly's right out. Now I know why my 1911 plate gun eject the alum cases about 1/2 the distance of the brass cases. So can't use alum case if you might need a fast reload.

+2 On the accuracy test, recently purchased a Taurus Tracker w/6.5" ported barrel in stainless. Grabbed it because it was brand new and under $300.  Beautiful  looking gun, action was understandably stiff, but lock-up and timing was super.  Was considering using it as an action pistol gun since it was a medium frame comparable to a S&W L frame.

After getting it home I got out my gauges to check internal fitment etc. As mentioned timing, cylinder alignment and lock-up are spot on....just feels like a great gun. Where I noticed a problem is with cylinder run out. It runs from .003 to .005..the .003 was limited to one chamber. (NOTE: forcing cone and extractor base were clean)

The forcing cone gives me the most concern.  Dropped my Brownells go-no go gauge in and it seats well beyond the no-go level. Pics attached, for comparison dropped the gauge it in my well used S&W 686 and the gauge stills rests at the "go" level.  Contacted Taurus  (with pics), without explanation they simply replied that the "everything is within specs and acceptable tolerance".

In all fairness still haven't fired a round with it yet...but am really interested in seeing your accuracy results...since the Taurus 692 is the one I really wanted.  Comparing the 38/357 against the 9mm cylinder would be great. 

gap.JPG

TAURUSb.jpg

SW686b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got some accuracy testing done. The amazing part first. Ten inch pie plate 1.5" black square in center, 26 yards, Federal champion 115gr 9mm aluminum case. Little late in the day, light fading. Dilated iris caused my slight astigmatism to show, had 2 dots, a faint  at 8 o'clock position, and front rest normally at the range was absent. First shot with the just mounted dot was totally in the black, 11 o'clock edge! 7 shots put 4 in the black, three pulled low, 7 more freehand double action gave 3 in black 4 inside 6 inch.

So took it to match, Aluminum cases don't work with TC custom moon clips, cylinder won't close. 

Switched to Federal champion 9mm 115gr brass, and had two bullets come out case and dump powder all over on extraction. More testing require, did well at the match for first time out at a man on man steel plate match.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, cking said:

latest finish grip work

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

very nice work Sir

they look slightly smaller than original.

Did you have to do any fitting inside the grips ?

Mine has a 1mm seam ( line) in the back of the grips- you can see the metal frame.

Does not close all the way in the back when mounted ...

You can close that gap, just put some marker on the wood or frame then assemble shoot, remove look for contact spots, then scrap those spots repeat until seam closes, I moved mine around some.

The grip is smaller, as adding wood would be bigger project, I would like to make them longer into a big butt. The flare at the bottom was removed, because it was too high, it is supposed to be below your pinky, not under it.

I could glue a contrast color piece of cocabola to the bottom but fitting the two halves and shaping the butt is a lot more work.

Maybe if I start winning match's I will. The second gun I built for a guy won the pistol match first time out with it.  We shoot steel plates with two racks and a dueling popper in the middle, makes a fast moving man on man match, winner shoot against winners, losers against losers, then a single elimination shootoff. Takes about 1.5 hours and you shoot about 75 rounds and get about 7 to 8 rounds with 15 to 20 shooters.