Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back to Long Stroke from Short Stroke?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I don't have a JP PCC but I like the longer stroke over the short stroke. I tried both and the short stroke is a little faster but my hits are better with the longer stroke. I also don't like the recoil impulse from the shortened stroke. Lastly I like to be able to lock the bolt back when I bag it. Thanks, Eric

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I don't have a JP PCC but I like the longer stroke over the short stroke. I tried both and the short stroke is a little faster but my hits are better with the longer stroke. I also don't like the recoil impulse from the shortened stroke. Lastly I like to be able to lock the bolt back when I bag it. Thanks, Eric

What is it about the impulse short stroke recoil do you not like? I was thinking it would lessen the recoil and limit the muzzle bounce. I haven’t shot one though but was thinking about getting one but your post is making me think more about though.

I short stroked my JP before firing the first round. I then added the enhanced bolt so I could lock it back and keep it short stroked. I shoot 147grain bullets at 945fps. I also run 5 tungsten weights and have it feeling and hitting at speed how I like.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I short stroked my JP before firing the first round. I then added the enhanced bolt so I could lock it back and keep it short stroked. I shoot 147grain bullets at 945fps. I also run 5 tungsten weights and have it feeling and hitting at speed how I like.

What Rowdy said. Recoil impulse is a personal preference . I myself like a short stroke faster impulse feeling. Kinda....more AR carbine like.There for the 100 grainer moving 1310 FPS. :)

9 hours ago, rowdyb said:

What's the moving mass numbers on that setup approx.?

I'm just curious, since I machined my own stainless steel "H5" buffer for my short stroke setup and even though it felt like a pretty clunky buffer at first it seems to work well. Just wanted to know if I'm in the same ballpark as other short stroke setups...

1 hour ago, impact said:

What's the moving mass numbers on that setup approx.?

I'm just curious, since I machined my own stainless steel "H5" buffer for my short stroke setup and even though it felt like a pretty clunky buffer at first it seems to work well. Just wanted to know if I'm in the same ballpark as other short stroke setups...

Do you want the weight of the bolt and their recoil system or just the weight of the recoil system?

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Do you want the weight of the bolt and their recoil system or just the weight of the recoil system?

H5 carrier with 5 tungsten weighs 11.7 oz.

JP SS enhanced bolt weighs  13.4 oz.

Total reciprocating mass =  25.1 oz.

Edited by Cavy
17 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Did you start out with the 5 tungsten set up? I shoot basically the same load as you and just bought the standard short stroke buffer. Don’t have the bolt yet. Just curious as the difference between all Tungsten and standard short stroke. 

16 hours ago, Cavy said:

H5 carrier with 5 tungsten weighs 11.7 oz.

JP SS enhanced bolt weighs  13.4 oz.

Total reciprocating mass =  25.1 oz.

Thank you, Sir!

Seems I'm pretty close to that with a 11.76oz buffer and 14.39oz bolt (total 26,15oz). 

17 hours ago, RandyBaker said:

Did you start out with the 5 tungsten set up? I shoot basically the same load as you and just bought the standard short stroke buffer. Don’t have the bolt yet. Just curious as the difference between all Tungsten and standard short stroke. 

No I did not. I started with what you get when you buy the standard short stroke kit, 3 tungsten and 2 steel. I shot it like that for two weeks and then switched to 5 tungsten. That gives me the closest recoil feel to the MPX I shot previously for 2 years. The extra 2 tungsten were like $75 to get. I have not played with the different spring weights, though I do have them.

All I do is put the dot in the center of a 15 yard target and pull the trigger twice as fast as I can (0.14 split). One sight picture two trigger pulls. How I hold the gun, my ammo, and all my set up have me happy with where I am at now.