Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with threadlock for comp

Bwilmot

What’s the best threadlocker for setting a comp? I’ve used 272 and 603 both run for 500-1500 rounds and then start to loosen up.  When they loosen up it will turn approx 1/8 of a turn and will still take more heat to remove them.  Would primer help? 

D0D7AB90-BBD6-4177-809F-1644D01CB683.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bwilmot said:

What’s the best threadlocker for setting a comp? I’ve used 272 and 603 both run for 500-1500 rounds and then start to loosen up.  When they loosen up it will turn approx 1/8 of a turn and will still take more heat to remove them.  Would primer help? 

D0D7AB90-BBD6-4177-809F-1644D01CB683.jpeg

The heat is loosening the thread locking material. So you need a higher temperature rating on your thread locker. I would recommend Rocksett for best results. 

1 hour ago, echotango said:

I use 272 and use 2 set screws.  And acetone to clean everything prior. 

Yep. Mine is red loctite with set screw.

I originally had problems on a new build. Turned out the threads were out of spec and no amount of loctite or set screws could hold it. But it was so bad the Comp wiggles around on those threads.

I've used 680 for years, it's Retaining Compound. Clean it well with acetone or methanol, both parts, use primer on both parts. Don't take your time assembling the parts, it can set up fast enough to be out of where you want it.

What are you using to lube it? Some lubes degrade the LocTite rather easily.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I've used 680 for years, it's Retaining Compound. Clean it well with acetone or methanol, both parts, use primer on both parts. Don't take your time assembling the parts, it can set up fast enough to be out of where you want it.
What are you using to lube it? Some lubes degrade the LocTite rather easily.

I'm also going to hang on to this info. I'm putting a Cheely comp on my new build and was curious of this as well since it has 2 set screws in the comp.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It does sound like your threads are loosely fit.  I forget the number, but there is a high temp Loctite specifically designed to work with loose threads.  Primer won't help loose threads.

Be careful when you use Loctite primer.  IF you have cleaned the parts properly, applied primer to both and let it dry, you only have between 15 and 20 seconds to get the comp screwed on and clocked before you cannot move them anymore.  Attached in this manner, the comp will hold for an entire season.  It will only loosen at a mega monster match.  64 target stages are tough on the gun.  It gets really hot and the comp is likely to come loose at some point during the match.  If not, for certain at the next monster match.

All my current Open guns have custom Trubore barrels.  If I were still using separate comps, I'd try this Loctite® 2422™ Ultra High Temp Blue Threadlocker or this Loctite 2620 High Strength Ultra High Temperature Threadlocker Red.  Both are rated to 650 F. 

I been using red loctite for years. If I need to replace or just remove the comp I use a little butane torch. It holds great and I’ve never had any issues with it releasing unless I wanted it off and add heat...